High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

036 pro Piston and Cyl replacement

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I recently bought a visually very nice condition 036 pro non-runner that had no compression. The shop owner said it may have been straight gassed. I bought it thinking I may get away with cleaning up stock cylinder and putting a meteor piston in it and maybe trying my hand at modifying it. After getting home and eagerly tearing into it I found that one of the wrist pin cir clips had come out and grooved the hell out of the wall. Junk. Having been on the hunt for a decent oem 036 cyl for my eventual 034(my firewood saw) to 036 jug upgrade and not finding one I feel that I may just have to install a meteor cyl and piston in this 036. Ive read a ton on this forum about recommendations of what AM to use and feel that meteor is the best option for this saw. Am I on the right track or am I gonna be pissed at the performance compared to my nice low hour stock o36 pro. Being a novice saw modifier I am just asking for a few small things I can do to the meteor parts to make it out perform my stock 036 pro. This will be my guinea pig saw, and probably a gateway saw for more hardcore, bad for me drugs, I mean saw modifications. Thanks to all the peer pressure from the OPE Community.

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks for all the advice. I will try and get some pics of the project later today, because I know how everyone likes pics.

iFHj7dc.jpg

JNhy5Wj.jpg

tnF4Cnl.jpg

Last edited:

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will a 360 cyl work i think it still available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't think I want to spend new oem price on this saw since I will modifying it myself ( and probably messing it up). I should have said in the original post that I had been looking for a good used oem cylinder, But thanks for the reply I had not thought about a new oem 360 cyl, I may call the dealer and just find out the price for new.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Raisman 036 jug if you can find one, discontinued. Runs as good as a stock OEM when ported. The meat is there and you can get the numbers very good. Only AM I ever saw as an option.

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I will keep my eyes open for a Raisman, but I am getting anxious to get this this together. Upon closer inspection of the Cylinder today it looks like this is not its first rebuild, since I cant find any Stihl name or number. It was Nikasil plated but I don't know who made it.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Snap some better pics of the cylinder damage. Also clean off the outside of the cylinder and look for markings. If its already an AM cylinder, I'd get a new one to play with. But if it's oem, that one may still be useable

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The cir clip damage on the wall is a pretty bad groove and higher in the pic you can see a second groove. I have cleaned off the cylinder and I can't find any markings to tell me it is oem. Thanks for the comments. I am leaning towards a meteor piston and cylinder and trying to do some port cleanup, add some compression, muffler mod and retune. I have been reading a bunch of threads about that and feel it is about time to give it the old college try. Here is a little better pic of the damage.
MLzcn35.jpg

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought an 036 that came with a meteor piston/cylinder. At the same time I also had a stock Mahle p/c in another 036. They ran the same and felt identical in the hands. I never timed that cylinder but the fit and finish was as nice or better than the Mahle.

However, I like OEM for resale.

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you, that makes me feel better, since I ordered the meteor lit from HLS yesterday. I have a another Oem low hours stock 036 pro so I am hoping by modifying the meteor I can make it at least as good or better running than the stocker. But what will probably happen is I will fix it to death. haha I will be doing a ton more reading on OPE to figure out what mods to start with on this meteor.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I checked the stock status last month an Raisman had 148 of the MS360 cylinder kits available.

Also, Meteor kit is on Deal of the Day today
http://www.hlsproparts.com/Meteor-Stihl-036-MS360-cylinder-piston-assembly-p/mcc1458.htm

@Gentleman
Any idea when they were cast? year month anything...

I found my jug card for Raisman 036 port work. Widen to 75 %, exhaust opening @102, trans 122, intake 80. It took very little to get 180 comp. The Raismans I used were wide flat bands came in at 0.022 with just the gasket delete and a Meteor piston kit. The magic came from the bur. Very strong runner. Out of the box the ports are all way too small. The piston was not usable back then or the rings and clips.

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Gentleman
Any idea when they were cast? year month anything...

I found my jug card for Raisman 036 port work. Widen to 75 %, exhaust opening @102, trans 122, intake 80. It took very little to get 180 comp. The Raismans I used were wide flat bands came in at 0.022 with just the gasket delete and a Meteor piston kit. The magic came from the bur. Very strong runner. Out of the box the ports are all way too small. The piston was not usable back then or the rings and clips.
I know that Raisman switched manufacturers at some point to lower costs. I don't know when.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you, that makes me feel better, since I ordered the meteor lit from HLS yesterday. I have a another Oem low hours stock 036 pro so I am hoping by modifying the meteor I can make it at least as good or better running than the stocker. But what will probably happen is I will fix it to death. haha I will be doing a ton more reading on OPE to figure out what mods to start with on this meteor.

Changed out a MS360 P&C with a Meteor, it ran just as good as the stock Stihl, not one issue was there to report.

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you for your numbers. Now I just have to figure out how to use them! haha I will hopefully have the meteor piston and cylinder next week then I can try and learn how to make them better.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know that Raisman switched manufacturers at some point to lower costs. I don't know when.
Lots of crazies with lots of crazies on the road out there. You guys be careful today. Send pics of the Raisman jug inside if you have time next week.

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I got started working on this 036 today after the new meteor cyl and piston showed up. I am pretty new to this but, the meteor casting fit and finish looks pretty nice tome. It definitely looks better then the hunzl 039 kit I threw in my dads old 029 last year.

First I built a degree wheel today and spent a few hours watching youtube and trying to figure out how to use it properly. Once I had the idea figured out I measured the port timing and came up with Exhaust 101 Transfers 125 and intake 78. Also measured squish at .028 to .030. So I pulled the .017" base gasket and now the piston was hitting the squish band??, so upon closer inspection I realized there is a raised area on the inside of the squish band (I think thats what it is called). I want to try and get to .020 squish from what I have rear so I cut a new gasket from some .010 card stock to replace the original .017 gasket thinking it would get me the space I need but it still hits so now I am confused. If I have .028 of space and I pull out the .017 gasket I should still have enough clearance and if I put a .010 gasket in I should definitely have enough clearance, but I don't.

Not sure what I am hitting. It got late so I called it quits since my brain it fried trying to learn all this S...!

I did originally think I needed to remove the part of the squish band toward the inside since it appears to be hanging down more then the outside portion so I built a sanding block out of the old piston and machined a bolt with a large washer that presses into the bottom of the piston and the head of the bolt engaged the inside of the wrist pin bosses. I didn't have and sticky back sand paper so I haven't used it yet, maybe tomorrow.

My next question is, do these numbers look ok and what should I do next with these numbers as far as porting?

Thank you for your patience with my newbie questions.
Sorry for the crappy phone pics, it was late.
1g8Hn6M.jpg

h3y2CJu.jpg

BmcgrBM.jpg

QvImbOy.jpg

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
6:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Be careful if you're using a power drill to turn that sanding mandrel. Bits of the sandpaper grit will migrate up and score the hell out of the cylinder wall.
The sandpaper also loses the grit around the edge very quickly and will leave a lip the piston can still make contact with.

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This morning I ended up making a new sanding mandrel out of nylon and it worked ok but is taking forever. I also modified the piston with a piece of sawzall blade sharpened and pressed in a grove across the face of the piston. I then sharpened bevels on opposite sides of the blade. it works but is also slow. Between the two tools I have been able to get my squish to between .015 and .021 depending on what part of the band I am measuring. I will try somemore this afternoon and try to get it all at .018 and .020.

Do those squish number sound alright for an 036?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those squish number sound fine. Just to offer you some encouragement, I rebuilt two 036 saws, one upgraded from an 034. Here's one of them:
Stihl 036-1.JPG
Stihl 036-2.JPG
When I received this saw four years ago in a box, it was in pieces and half of them were missing. I started it yesterday and it ran fine.

Last edited: