029 pricing

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Just bought a very clean stihl 029. Runs great. whenever I get it I am going to go through all of the bells and whistles. But it is a pretty nice old saw. Whats one worth now?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought one new for 350.00
And used it and when they stopped production
8 year's later
I sold it for 350.00

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it says Farmboss on it, there may be no limit.
Is that a joke?

True dat.
Ok, I’m pretty sure it’s a joke..

Most homeys want the 029. Offer them a 039 for the same price and they say “no that saw is way too big and heavy”
Aren’t they the same saw with a different P&C? I think I’m starting to see a pattern.

What about an early MS290 with the farm boss bar?

In all seriousness, I see 029s and ms290s listed for sale on CL for $250-400 a pop. I have a 290 with a farm boss bar and would be tempted to sell it to buy a newer lighter 50cc saw if I had the opportunity. The one thing that would hold me back is it’s never let me down and has always started and ran great.
I bought it for somewhere around $325 20 years ago. Those saws are like Land Rover Defenders, what Harleys were 25 years ago, or money in a savings account - they only appear to loose value to inflation. I think that’s a Stihl thing, at least in the Baltimore MD area it is. On the used market, huskies are still pricey, but not as much and echos are less than huskies.
I’m not sure the same would be true if I lived in a logging town where there was a steady flow of used saws on the market.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a joke?
Ok, I’m pretty sure it’s a joke..
Aren’t they the same saw with a different P&C? I think I’m starting to see a pattern.

What about an early MS290 with the farm boss bar?

In all seriousness, I see 029s and ms290s listed for sale on CL for $250-400 a pop. I have a 290 with a farm boss bar and would be tempted to sell it to buy a newer lighter 50cc saw if I had the opportunity. The one thing that would hold me back is it’s never let me down and has always started and ran great.
I bought it for somewhere around $325 20 years ago. Those saws are like Land Rover Defenders, what Harleys were 25 years ago, or money in a savings account - they only appear to loose value to inflation. I think that’s a Stihl thing, at least in the Baltimore MD area it is. On the used market, huskies are still pricey, but not as much and echos are less than huskies.
I’m not sure the same would be true if I lived in a logging town where there was a steady flow of used saws on the market.

I confess, we've been funning around a bit. Essentially the 029 is a smaller cylinder than the MS290 -- the early 029's came out with a 45mm piston. When the 029 Super was issued it had a 46mm piston/cylinder just like the upcoming MS290. Essentially the 029/029 platform and the MS290/MS310/MS390 were very similar. Like many of the transitions in model types from the "0" series to the MS series -- the changes came with flip caps instead of screw in caps. The MS290/MS310/MS390 are all built on the same plastic housing with piston/cylinder size differences. And I believe the MS390 had a larger jetted carb.

Essentially the MS290 sold new in this area for $325 plus tax with bar and chain. So now let me get on point. These guys are telling you these saws sell really well at the $350 price point in many areas. Including the area I live in. I see them all the time on Craigslist for $350 (knowing it sold for around the same price point NEW). There is a crazy attraction it seems to the marketing schemes Stihl put out. The "Farm Boss" and the "Wood Boss" and other trademarks were essentially marketing schemes. From what I can see they worked really well. Essentially you can usually sell the MS290's pretty readily. Some other guys will chime in. When I first started tinkering with saws I sold everyone I could repair and put up for sale fairly easily.

The 029 you purchased can be made into a 039 simply by swapping the piston cylinder and the model plate on the top. To be sure if you break the clam shell down --you're gonna need to probably replace the crank seals. All this is just inflammation. :D Sorry for the needless goofing around.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then there's the bastard 310 you can't hardly give them away.

I bought a MS310 in a box a long time ago. The guy had all the hardware he could get into a mason jar. He said all the parts were there.
He had three bars with the saw, I believe a 16", 18" and I believe a brand new bar 25" bar (memory fails -- not sure that's the right size).
He said he'd take a certain amount for the parts saw and all three bars. I bought it all. Reassembled the saw, repaired the minor things
that needed fixed. Installed the 18" bar and chain. Sold it quickly, then sold the brand new bar readily also. Came out well I might add.
What I paid for the whole lot, I actually got in return for the long bar. I love a good deal :cool:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Often times people don't even care about the model number, as long as it says Farmboss, you know it's the best saw ever made.

I asked a guy what saw he had, " a Stihl Farmboss". Ok, what size? "18"... The model number please "oh, uhh... ms271"

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Often times people don't even care about the model number, as long as it says Farmboss, you know it's the best saw ever made.

I asked a guy what saw he had, " a Stihl Farmboss". Ok, what size? "18"... The model number please "oh, uhh... ms271"

Yeah, I've heard all that. Pretty funny at times.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have rebuilt four 029s with 039 top ends after their owners straight gassed them or just plain wore them out. I actually liked them all better than the 290. The owners just wished they had more power and that is what I supplied.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have rebuilt four 029s with 039 top ends after their owners straight gassed them or just plain wore them out. I actually liked them all better than the 290. The owners just wished they had more power and that is what I supplied.

does the 390 p/c just bolt right up or is there anything that needs changed intake, exhaust, carb wise

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
does the 390 p/c just bolt right up or is there anything that needs changed intake, exhaust, carb wise
It fastens right on, but it's a PITA and much tougher than rebuilding an 028, 034, 036, etc. For instance, the clamshell design forces you to remove the tank housing. So, your bench will be filled with parts. I have done it without removing the bar studs.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a very abused 029 for A$50. With a muffler mod and the 390 jug on it, I thought it had some potential. Modded the carb, air filter, chain oiler, ignition advance, pop-up piston, 066 coil with 4 degree retard on starting, modded de-comp, put on a 20" Husky NK bar and chain and a few other bits and pieces.

It is a great little saw NOW, but no one should have to do that much work to a saw to make it right.

If I ever sell it, I will advertise it as a SUPER MAGNUM FARM BOSS.

There's a few guys on this site that are willing to work on them to re-sell and they do quite well with the market. This is the first and last I will ever own.