026 differences ??

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
7:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know the differences in years as far as red master control vs black ? Also translucent tanks vs solid on red lever vs black ? Or any other differences not mentioned ? Thanks
Or was there no rhyme or reason?

This was posted in technical by mistake.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know the earlier red lever one's had the adjustable high speed jet, the later ones had the fixed high speed so no muffler mod without carb change. The was a clutch change along the way too according to oregon book. The pro had decomp and adjustable oiler plus compensating carb.

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't know the idea behind the red/black leaver but I will swap the black for the red leaver on a saw I'm going to keep. I know it's crazy and I can't explain it, I just like the looks of the red!

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one with red lever clear tank and one with black lever solid tank (white ) both have high and low & la adjustments. Tank vents are the same air filters are same ? I know a lot have been built from parts by now just curious about minor differences.
Seen a red lever on CL with solid white tank ? Just makes me wonder ? Thanks

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know the idea behind the red/black leaver but I will swap the black for the red leaver on a saw I'm going to keep. I know it's crazy and I can't explain it, I just like the looks of the red!

That's funny I like the red too but that black runs so much better may switch em out.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a black lever pro with a clear tank

Windthrown

GFY Certified!
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The red lever came on the first year or so on the 026 run, and was not significant. Red or black, they run the same. The clear or solid gas tanks appeared on PRO and non-PRO saws throughout the 026/260 production runs, no rhyme or reason. The early model 026 saws had the most open mufflers, and they were choked up over the years with 2 much more restrictive types. Same with the carbs, the early and mid year models had fully tuneable carbs (Walbro 194 and 22c) and the late model 026 and early 260 saws had fixed H jet carbs. The early model 026 saws have aluminum top handles, the mid year and late 026 and 260 models have composite top handles. The early 026 starter housings were metal, later model years were plastic. The early and mid year models have a smaller AF and no compensating carb with a tower tank vent. Late model 026 and 260 saws have larger air filters and compensating carbs, as well as 2 different low profile tank vents. The late model 026 and 260 saws also have a different AF cover with a lever instead of a knob. The 026 had a 44mm P&C, as do some very early 260 saws. The later 260 saws have a 44.7mm P&C. The 44 and 44.7mm P&C can be swapped between 026 and 260 saws as a set. Some 026 saws have a plastic oil bump body, and some have a metal one. The 260 has the flippy oil and gas caps, the 026 saws had screw in oil and gas caps.

The only difference between the PRO and non PRO 026 and 260 saws are that the PRO saws have an adjustable oiler and a decompression valve. And the PRO sticker. There were no other differences. I had one 026 non PRO saw with the PRO chassis with the slot for the adjustable oiler and the oilomatic 'dial' cast in the frame, but it did not have the adjustable oiler. 5 o'clock special? My earliest one was made in 'West Germany', the others were made in 'Germany' (after the wall fell) or in the US. The non-adjustable oiler oils fine, it just puddles a tad at idle as it runs off the crank and not the clutch. No real need for a decomp on this small of a saw. I have had lots of these saws (all bought used) and several had some swapped later and earlier model parts on them. Its pretty much mix and match. I swapped a lot of parts myself between my 026/260 saws. I put a new OEM 260 44.7m P&C on my 026 and it runs great. I put the early model mufflers on them that are more open or drilled the mid year mufflers out more, and swapped in Walbro 194 adjustable carbs if they did not have them.

Last edited:

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have 2 running 026s and 5 or 6 others needing built but i love these light little saws when cutting wood love the 361 also its a good all around saw

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got two 026's a 360 and selling a 362.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one with red lever clear tank and one with black lever solid tank (white ) both have high and low & la adjustments. Tank vents are the same air filters are same ? I know a lot have been built from parts by now just curious about minor differences.
Seen a red lever on CL with solid white tank ? Just makes me wonder ? Thanks

Then run the piss out of them and don't worry bout the color of the lever.

I do mine.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never worried about the colors or possible combos of parts. The trees don't seem to care. Put a wt194 on them and enjoy.

angusjones8

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
260 top covers don't seem to fit on 026's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe they do. You may need switch which side the rubber stud is.