Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Comparison of four axes including my old faithful dragon slayer.

Comments are enabled but monitored.

Thank You for watching! :)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and sorry about your camera stand:(
Yeah, that was a faux pass by me, but it was bound to happen at some point.

I tried bending the leg back, it immediately started breaking - a hollow triangular aluminum tube does not like to be bent forth and back.
While making a clip the other day I also snapped the plastics on one of the angle adjustments.
I will try fix the tripod, it is very lightweight and relatively small once retracted - served me very well over the years.

How have You been doing?
You and Nathaniel are barely around anymore, which is OK as long as it is related to an abundance of work. ;)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Wilhelm.
I find very interesting the different Ax styles and splitting styles between us.
I prefer to split with rounds stacked up and I split like I am cutting up a pie. Not sure why, just the way I have done it for 40 years. It works for me. Lol. I find it easier.
You prefer to split with rounds directly on the ground. It works for you.
Pretty cool stuff

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sure you can get it fixed. I will watch the axe video later on today.
I have been well. Going to run my tree business again starting in the spring. Bought another truck to use a chip truck that has taken a bunch of time and money. Also getting ready for the new little one in January. Nate is just plugging away working. I have been on him about your full house chain and p and c kit to get it to you.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes we can make that work. Was just thinking about not having to jump around so much. Usually when I watch YouTube I open the app and am not watching thru a link here.

I was watching the 12k and 13k wot ps-550 videos. That little saw pulls pretty good. I wanted to hear your thoughts on it based on the rich and leaner settings. The 12k seemed to give you more ability to push on it and smoothed out real good once you had in loaded well. Just a lot of blubbering. At 13k seemed a bit more smooth and clean then the 12k put seemed to not have as much pulling power. Thanks for posting. Also is that a gransfors bruks axe head in the splitting knot less oak?
I'll go through the clips and enable comments, may take a while though. ;)
The Dolmar PS-550 felt guttles to me tuned at 12k, she was 4-stroking really hard.
I am in love with this one ever since I leaned her out to 13k, she is really hauling and that might just as well be a sweet spot for this unit.
What needs be said is that she is wearing a fairly worn chain, but we all know the hidden truth - triangle tooth loops are the fastest!
I have a brand new semi chisel tooth loop, courtesy of Sondre @SOS Ridgerider , thank You - I will record the first cuts with that chain once I free up a log that is not dirt infested.

I don't really know the origin of my old faithful ax, I was always assuming it was made by any of many blacksmiths that were so common so many decades ago.
It may be a brand product, but I can neither confirm nor deny it.

I am sure you can get it fixed. I will watch the axe video later on today.
I have been well. Going to run my tree business again starting in the spring. Bought another truck to use a chip truck that has taken a bunch of time and money. Also getting ready for the new little one in January. Nate is just plugging away working. I have been on him about your full house chain and p and c kit to get it to you.
I am glad to hear You are well.
I wish only good things to come to Your expected offspring, and may he/she inherit his/her fathers passion for chainsaws - hopefully Dolmar branded ones. :)

I never wanted to bother Nate regarding the loop, thank You for doing it for me.
Sondre is holding on to some stuff for me.
He said he will be making an order from Nate and ask him to send the Full-House chain along so he can ship it to me.
I will have to look into getting some clean logs, or debark one of the ones I have, so I can test the E-EXL once I get my hands on it.

Nice Wilhelm.
I find very interesting the different Ax styles and splitting styles between us.
I prefer to split with rounds stacked up and I split like I am cutting up a pie. Not sure why, just the way I have done it for 40 years. It works for me. Lol. I find it easier.
You prefer to split with rounds directly on the ground. It works for you.
Pretty cool stuff
I used to stack rounds atop another before splitting, I stopped once I started getting large diameter logs.
Trust me, You do not want to lift a fresh turkey oak round, it is as heavy as lead!
The difference in splitting styles might actually originate from the different ax designs being utilized.
Splitting rounds into cake triangles makes sense and I am not opposed to it, I just got used to split the rounds into slices then split those into triangles and squares - one of my videos is showing my entire splitting style down to firewood size, I use the same ax for the entire process.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted some comments on a couple videos. I really like those style axe heads. Those long handles are great as well.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted some comments on a couple videos. I really like those style axe heads. Those long handles are great as well.
Cool, thank You. :)

If You want one You know I'll do my best to get You sorted. ;)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Wilhelm. Chain and saw looked real good.
Stay tuned, two more featuring this mature lady coming up.

Saw runs quite well, in regards of power I would say PS-7300/7310 class.
I guess she'd feel stronger with a 7 tooth sprocket, but she'd also loose speed.

Chain is a work in progress, it is the only chisel tooth loop that I am trying out a cheap chainsaw chain grinder - the dremel type one.
The next video I am uploading is featuring the same saw, same fuel, same B&C - but the chain got freshly ground.
The clip is anything but perfect as the chain keeps grabbing, I think there were burs on the loop from the grinding process.

As a reminder, this is "turkey oak" that I am bucking.
Every dark brown section is as hard as a knot would be, it places a high load on saw and chain.

As always , thank You very much for watching! :)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna 181SE bucking turkey oak, chain had been freshly round ground causing it to perform rather grabby.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
8 pin probably too much for the stock saw. I would try the 7 pin. Saw will be much happier.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
8 pin probably too much for the stock saw. I would try the 7 pin. Saw will be much happier.
Not my saw, 8 tooth is what was on her when I got my hands on her!

I am not sure I wanna mess with trying to get that stupid outboard clutch off. :confused:
P1050058.JPG

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Comment quote:
Husqvarna 181SE , 8 tooth sprocket , 36" 3/8" .058" 115DL bar & chain setup, solid steel bar Iggesund Forest R2 ,chisel tooth round filed Carlton A2 chain , beech firewood log.

I know the saw is missing the chain brake - it is not my saw , I am merely looking her over and run her for troubleshooting purposes.

The saw still has some issues with the idle set bolt, it seems to loosen itself causing the issues seen in the second half of the video.
Yes, there is a spring under the bolt.
In the video idle is suddenly too low and the saw dies coming off wide open throttle (WOT), also idle is too low for the engine to fire back up even though it wants to - throttle lock to the rescue.
This is why I am running the saw more extensively, to identify issues!

The portrayed Husqvarna 181SE bucked up 3 equally large logs prior to the one show in the video.
The idle set bolt did not reveal itself as an issue point during those cuts and the 181SE always came down to a steady idle without stalling the engine (with can also be seen in the first half of the video).