High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Why are we overcharged so much in Australia?

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Climbed the sydney harbor bridge which was probably the highlight.

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
As things go, import costs are quite low. 5% duties, then a 10% gst applied on total value of items (including shipping). With WARF fee's etc spread out over a container load, it is not a high cost burden.

Prices are inline with almost all other products here in Australia (over priced) and reflects a general buisineas mentality that anyone competent has a beef with.

As for saw prices, pro's will buy pro equipment, have incompetent 17-18 mobile phone addicts wreck them and pass the cost onto the consumer. Chinese gear isn't up to scratch yet, so they have to buy more pro equipment.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think you can compare the money that FIFO's make to the rest of us. The prices charged by tree guys here in backwater Adelaide has halved, no, quartered in the last 5 years because of supply & demand.
I wasn't having a go at you just saying, and yeah I think things are getting tougher across the board seems the heydays of silly money are over in AU like plumbers charging $300 to change a tap washer lol. I think people know times are going to get tougher and are not so easily persuaded out of their hard earned money if what they say is true we are heading into a recession this year? maybe the home owners that cut one or two ute loads of firewood a year will have to cut back from 4 new pro saw's to 3 lol.
Australia the lucky country there not half wrong.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol havent seen that video in a while, firetruckin awesome!!

Mutley

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have FTA's with pretty much everyone, no import duties to speak of these days. We do have a 10% GST on everything over $1,000 imported into the country, but my item was $249 - no GST on import, only on re-sale.

009L

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
No worries my brothers from down under, I have a plan! I'm going to fill up the Bass Boat with chainsaws and beer, and head your way. I'm American, it's what we do!

Pat

G

Greenerpastures

First off, there will be import tax, when you find out what it is
it will go a long way in explaining why things are the price they are.
Secondly, geographic distribution, is it easy for you to walk out of one
sellers shop and go to another, if not, then the seller has a monopoly and
can charge as they wish.
Third, price setting, it is more wide spread than people realize.

And many other factors also add to the cost, advertising plays it part too,
if you can make an item a must have, then suckers will fall over themselves
and pay stupid money.

In one word, "Greed" is why things are over priced.

G

Greenerpastures

We have FTA's with pretty much everyone, no import duties to speak of these days. We do have a 10% GST on everything over $1,000 imported into the country, but my item was $249 - no GST on import, only on re-sale.
So what is the import duty on the item you want, if import duty is so low, then just import the item.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Australia has a free trade agreement with the USA. If the item was made in USA there should be no duty fee.

Mutley

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First off, there will be import tax, when you find out what it is
it will go a long way in explaining why things are the price they are.
Secondly, geographic distribution, is it easy for you to walk out of one
sellers shop and go to another, if not, then the seller has a monopoly and
can charge as they wish.
Third, price setting, it is more wide spread than people realize.

And many other factors also add to the cost, advertising plays it part too,
if you can make an item a must have, then suckers will fall over themselves
and pay stupid money.

In one word, "Greed" is why things are over priced.

So what is the import duty on the item you want, if import duty is so low, then just import the item.

As I said above, there is no import tax (duties) to speak of.

Yes, Stihl shops do have a monopoly, but the Chinese must be cutting into their market, as Stihl's RRP's have started to come down dramatically since I posted this thread.

We have a mob called the ACCC that will jump on anyone even talking about price setting. The penalties here for that are MASSIVE, so no, I don't think so.

Greed? Yes!

Importing the said item may be OK for casual users, but the item was a repair item for a saw that I use daily to make a living. I had to walk into a shop & buy it when it bent, or not work. No way to add that onto a customer's bill & still stay in business!

G

Greenerpastures

As I said above, there is no import tax (duties) to speak of.

Yes, Stihl shops do have a monopoly, but the Chinese must be cutting into their market, as Stihl's RRP's have started to come down dramatically since I posted this thread.

We have a mob called the ACCC that will jump on anyone even talking about price setting. The penalties here for that are MASSIVE, so no, I don't think so.

Greed? Yes!

Importing the said item may be OK for casual users, but the item was a repair item for a saw that I use daily to make a living. I had to walk into a shop & buy it when it bent, or not work. No way to add that onto a customer's bill & still stay in business!
Yep, thats when they get you, when your down, no mercy, just get all they can out of you when they can.
This happened me once, I explained it nicely to the guy next time I needed a new Welder, and that it why I would not be
buying off him, he was not smiling as much as he was the day he over charged me for the spare part I need,
and best of all, the other shops soon heard about it, and I seemed to get discount more easily.

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience, I think it’s the Aussie women.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
1:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its just the yankees who has nice prices, the rest of us pay out from our nose.

I've spoked with @Onan18 for 346 case price, super nice price.
We're speaking under 1/2 the retail price of those prices in Norway.
My dealer wanted to be nice since I'm kinda a good customer, he showed me all the prices, net and retail price and said I could get the case for net price.
And still, the price to Joe was lower.
Sometimes I feel sorry for good dealers, its not always them who is the sinner

Last edited: