High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Why are we overcharged so much in Australia?

Mutley

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a very ordinary day at work yesterday, I managed to drop a 60+kg unopened seed pod from a Queen palm onto the top shaft of my HT75 & bend it like spaghetti! I repaired it myself, but needed a top drive shaft to replace the bent one (straightened out the tube pretty much & it is re-usable) The cost of the shaft here in Aust is $249! A quick check with Mr Google shows that you can pick one up in the US for around $50. Currently feeling like I just bent over & grabbed my ankles! :(

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May have something to do with the currency exchange. The fact you have no borders. Your immigration/work visa policies. Be careful what you wish for.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
there was a thread on this not long ago where someone actually corresponded with Stihl and they were basically told stihl australia recommends retail price, but does not set prices. i imagine dealers also know the difficulty of getting parts outside of the dealer network and so they have people over a barrel. That said, i had the chance a number of years ago to spend a couple months in oz and EVERYTHING is at least twice as expensive as it is in the states already. and wages are generally close to twice what they are here as well.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the exchange rate at that time was quite unfavorable for US currency when i was there though, very strong aussie dollar at the time.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's called Regional Pricing it's how all businesses work selling on a global scale, good bad who knows I'm no business person but that's what its called google it.
The price of saw's I'd say are ok here taking into account what wages are in AU have a look at what the guys working in the mines make for example, my uncle is a driller he makes like 120k for 6 months work and yeah don't worry he cries poor and reckons milk cost to much! lol. Seems to be common here the more money made the more they spend buy crap live beyond their means good enuff is no good it has to be the best attitude (homes/cars/3k barbecues lol) keeping up with the joneses.
It's the price of parts that they really screw us on that's greed or Stihl don't want us fixing saws and don't worry Husky is no better.

Mutley

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mutley, I expect when everyone in OZ is finally running cheap Chinese saws, Stihl and Husky will decide to drop their prices - but by then, nobody will give a sh!t as a whole new market will have evolved that doesn't include Stihl or Husky.
I hear what you're saying mate! Makita have joined in now too! I was looking to buy a new 7901 & the price has doubled in recent years.

Mutley

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's called Regional Pricing it's how all businesses work selling on a global scale, good bad who knows I'm no business person but that's what its called google it.
The price of saw's I'd say are ok here taking into account what wages are in AU have a look at what the guys working in the mines make for example, my uncle is a driller he makes like 120k for 6 months work and yeah don't worry he cries poor and reckons milk cost to much! lol. Seems to be common here the more money made the more they spend buy crap live beyond their means good enuff is no good it has to be the best attitude (homes/cars/3k barbecues lol) keeping up with the joneses.
It's the price of parts that they really screw us on that's greed or Stihl don't want us fixing saws and don't worry Husky is no better.
I don't think you can compare the money that FIFO's make to the rest of us. The prices charged by tree guys here in backwater Adelaide has halved, no, quartered in the last 5 years because of supply & demand.

Mutley

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry off topic, but i loved the couple months i had in australia. Saw some really cool places, lots of good people. Doubt ill ever in my lifetime have the opportunity to do it again. Ok, carry on
Glad you enjoyed it, where did you travel to?

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Prices likely have more to do with import costs than anything .

Contact your representative for your Gov't and ask him why .