ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little late into this thread, are the Vallorbe round right up there with the Pferd and Husky intense cut?

I am really amazed how good the Intense Cut lasted just used it in the past 6 months, it held all the way to the end before falling off the cliff.

Kept going and going and going, I did 5 really bad chains 68dls, 3/8 for the family, almost conversions with the material and gullet removed, started on a new 7/32, 5.5 file.

Them my good chains 5 resharpenings total, all on 68dls, 3/8.

That is compared to my old el cheapo files that were done after a two to three sharpenings, don't remember the brand, they are not stamped.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
6:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m late to the party, but have any of you tried the Forester brand files? Recently I have been reaching for them over my others that I have on hand. I have Forester, Stihl and Mad Dog (by Timber Savage) in my truck right now.. The Mad Dogs are super aggressive, but seem to dull quickly. I just like to have them around in case a chain hits the dirt hard or another heavy object... And the Stihl, well they are smooth in my experiences, but like you guys have noticed, lose their cut ability too fast for what they cost IMO.. That leaves the Forester files: they are comparable to the Stihl in the surface they leave, but cost less and seem to last just a bit longer.. All my files are 7/32” and I run Oregon EXL and Stihl RSK or RS for my cutting...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is Oregon, Vallorbe, Bahco, Save Edge, Pferd and a few others. I use Oregon, Save Edge and Pferd. They are all about the same.

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Talking with a mechanic the other day about sharpening and the topic of round files came up.

It was mentioned that a co. making a run of files would throw out *millions*, enough for a year or two in one batch.

And if that batch was garbage or of poor quality steel then the files would suck till they ran off another batch. After the *millions* of garbage files had been sold off.

Well I’m due for another dozen 7/32 and 3/16 and the save edge files I had really seemed to go quickly soooo.....
You can't bea a man at his own game, so I use Nicholson. Been using them for my trade for decades so I buy 7/32" rounds a coupla' dozen at a time. Never had a bad Nicholson file.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TY for the link. They aint cheap. Lol

Int1968

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't realize Nicholson made round files for chains. I've never seen them anywhere.
At work they use to be really nice files when made in the USA, when production moved to Portugal they became junk, maybe one sharpening then thrown in the trash.

On a related note I recently bought some triangle/hex files to try square filling, ended up being bacho, not impressed at all.