Who’s making good round files 2019

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Talking with a mechanic the other day about sharpening and the topic of round files came up.

It was mentioned that a co. making a run of files would throw out *millions*, enough for a year or two in one batch.

And if that batch was garbage or of poor quality steel then the files would suck till they ran off another batch. After the *millions* of garbage files had been sold off.

Well I’m due for another dozen 7/32 and 3/16 and the save edge files I had really seemed to go quickly soooo.....

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Original post makes a lot of sense, after a bunch of guys recommending Save Edge files on forums I thought I'd give them a go & bought 2 dozen. I was not impressed, this I not to say they make bad files its just I got mine from an 'average/poor' batch. I think the makers who are most consistent are Pferd, Vallorbe (Swiss & Germans even Belgium/Portugal). Though my favourite raker files ever I got were $12 a dozen and they were made in Taiwan. So you can get lucky/unlucky but there are a few players that are a lot more consistent than others. It can be a real crap shoot & I say luck is a big factor when seeking good files. You KNOW when the moons line up & they get them right.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found when you get a really good file they can last up to 5x as long as a poor or average one & are simply a pleasure to use. Pferd also give you options that others don't offering their round saw files in both smooth & coarse. Usually you need a dealer with the big product ordering book to dig out the part no's.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you dont have a pferd dealer local the stihl branded files are pferd. They used to be branded pferd untill a year or so ago.
That's news to me, here down under the Stihl OEM files have been Vallorbe Swiss files. I used to find it funny when folks would complain how chit Vallorbe files were compared to the 'good' Stihl ones :facepalm:. Although the 2-in-1 file guide are a Pferd made product so it kinda makes sense.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ones we have here that are branded stihl are identical to the pferd ones as far as fit, finish, and performance. That was just my experience. I may have been tricked into thinking they're pferd!

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's news to me, here down under the Stihl OEM files have been Vallorbe Swiss files. I used to find it funny when folks would complain how chit Vallorbe files were compared to the 'good' Stihl ones :facepalm:. Although the 2-in-1 file guide are a Pferd made product so it kinda makes sense.

Yep and so are the old Oregon files I have

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep and so are the old Oregon files I have

Man, you Aussie guys have it tough. High MSRP, crap files, plants that can kill you, the list goes on...:D

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cause they suck.

:couch:

Beat me to it

I must have always gotten Monday morning or Friday quitting time Oregon files

Pferd seem the best and Stihl seems just as good, apparently they are one and the same

My Save Edge experience has been good as well

Anyone hear of or try the NOTCH brand files that Tree Stuff is selling?

I almost want some just for the box they come in

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I often think Oregon files are like Craftsman tools

They get made on a low bid basis by any number of manufacturers (I could be totally wrong about this so don't hesitate to school me

You could get the sharpest most long lasting file imaginable or a dog that wasn't particularly sharp to begin with

I seem to always have gotten the latter back when I bought a single or 2 pack at a time

As with all things Chainsaw, your mileage may vary