When Saw "Parts" become "Components"

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
9:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are still stocking the same number of components, and in some cases more, as now you are stocking non-wear items that are attached to wear items. Ball joints that are integral to A-arms comes to mind. You (the car company, actually) are also forcing the customer to replace parts that may, or may not, be worn out.

If you integrate the ball joint into the control arm, you're now stocking a single item number, versus four if they sell the bj, the arm and assuming at least two pivot bushings. How is that stocking more parts?

Wife and I have an 04 4Runner. It needed lower ball joints at 170k. Cannot get just the ball joint itself. Toyota only sells the complete lower arm. On my 98 Tacoma, you can order the ball joint, the dust boot, the nut, snap ring, and cotter pin separately. Toyota was really good about breaking down assy's and selling individual parts but they're moving away from that and while I understand it, I don't always agree with it. Call it planned obsolescence if you want but the fact is, it costs a company a lot of money to have a good parts program. They're all in business to make money and lets face it, the majority of Americans don't/cannot repair a click pen let alone their vehicles, so why warehouse a bunch of slow moving widgets.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you integrate the ball joint into the control arm, you're now stocking a single item number, versus four if they sell the bj, the arm and assuming at least two pivot bushings. How is that stocking more parts?

Wife and I have an 04 4Runner. It needed lower ball joints at 170k. Cannot get just the ball joint itself. Toyota only sells the complete lower arm. On my 98 Tacoma, you can order the ball joint, the dust boot, the nut, snap ring, and cotter pin separately. Toyota was really good about breaking down assy's and selling individual parts but they're moving away from that and while I understand it, I don't always agree with it. Call it planned obsolescence if you want but the fact is, it costs a company a lot of money to have a good parts program. They're all in business to make money and lets face it, the majority of Americans don't/cannot repair a click pen let alone their vehicles, so why warehouse a bunch of slow moving widgets.
A control arm is not a wear item. It is an item that a collision shop would order when repairing a collision damaged vehicle. Likewise, the ball joint will usually wear out 2 or 3 times before CA bushings are shot. So now you are stocking a control arm you wouldn't normally stock, and 3 times as many CA bushings as would normally be required. Not to mention that the customer is now paying $200 for a part that should cost $15. Anyway, it's not chainsaw related... yet.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Try this one for size.
There is one big element of a saw that could benefit from some "Full Component" solution thinking ,the crankcase .
How about the "Short Motor " option ? I think there is something available but not sure if OEM or not.
Factory produced bottom ends with seals ,bearings and crank all installed with the proper tooling then vac/pre tested, certificated .
There could even be a recon exchange system for less popular ,or should i say more .."reliable" models.
This may be even more likely with the way some saw platforms are going with the 2 part crankcase engine module? (i'm not talking of a clam motor)
May be a cost effective option if you need to work on a wide range of equipment and would negate any special tooling needed on what may be a 1 off.
This may appeal to both the saw shop and the home restorer.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When i have to replace the bar oil pump on a saw that has parts and the hole pump available I will go with the hole component.
That sound familiar ?

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I bought the new 346 xpg NE case from Husky, it came with new bearings installed, most of the screws, oil pick up, chain guide plate, intake flange.
What I needed to buy was a gasket kit and flywheel seal.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I bought the new 346 xpg NE case from Husky, it came with new bearings installed, most of the screws, oil pick up, chain guide plate, intake flange.
What I needed to buy was a gasket kit and flywheel seal.
2 things...
1...you must have thought it was a good thing to do .
2...WoW.... are Husq still making 346 NE in Brazil ? and you were able to get Husq to supply that sort of a component through a dealer ! ?

Last edited:

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2 things...
1...you must have thought it was a good thing to do .
2...WoW.... are Husq are still making 346 NE in Brazil ? and you were able to get Husq to supply that sort of a component through a dealer ! ?
1) on a crankcase I thought it was nice to get it as close as complete when it came to parts.

2) No,I only bought a new 346 NE xpg crankcase.

Huskys still sell 346NE in Japan.......
https://www.husqvarna.com/jp/products/chainsaw/346-xp-new-edition/965167018/

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I was at my local dealer shop chatting and he made mention of 562 short blocks and that they had used them. Idk if they are are a dealer only item though as I have not seen a complete short block available on any oem parts website I use for parts lookup?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I was at my local dealer shop chatting and he made mention of 562 short blocks and that they had used them. Idk if they are are a dealer only item though as I have not seen a complete short block available on any oem parts website I use for parts lookup?
Wonder if that is something to do with the extra case bolt that Husqvarna introduced on the the 562 ? Posable that Husq want that case used instead of the old one so supply if rebuilds take place . Pure guesswork here other than knowing they added a extra case bolt.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder if that is something to do with the extra case bolt that Husqvarna introduced on the the 562 ? Posable that Husq want that case used instead of the old one so supply if rebuilds take place . Pure guesswork here other than knowing they added a extra case bolt.

The Short Blocks do have the extra case bolt yes.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Guesswork, maybe..but I think that's the most likely reason. It makes perfect sense, in a warranty repair situation, why provide the repair free to the customer under warranty when you know there is an inherent problem with the existing crankcase that cannot be resolved but with the new updated unit.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just so you know, my dumpster is always available for you to throw away your worthless, illegal fuel line. I will make sure it gets disposed of properly.

LOL I was thinking same thing.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are short blocks a dealer-only item Joe?

No sir 580 66 37-10 Short Block 60cc Large Mount. $238.99 as of 12/29/2017

Comes with the Six Screw cases, new crankshaft, bearings, seals, and case gasket already assembled and ready to go.

A person would also need a 575 27 00-03 Gasket set, $9.99 as of 12/29/2017

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's actually a really good deal considering an OEM 562 crankshaft assembly alone is quoted at $258 on Partstree!

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No sir 580 66 37-10 Short Block 60cc Large Mount. $238.99 as of 12/29/2017

Comes with the Six Screw cases, new crankshaft, bearings, seals, and case gasket already assembled and ready to go.

A person would also need a 575 27 00-03 Gasket set, $9.99 as of 12/29/2017
any other short blocks available Joe?

Edit, 580663709 should be the 560 short block

Last edited: