Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What would make more power stroking or big boar? This is just a hypothetical question if all conditions were right would going +2mm stroke give more power than +2mm boar?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bigger bore will allow wider ports (more flow potential)

Longer stroke will likely have more case compression. Narrower ports, but could be taller to get close to the same port area.

Max power output could be the same both ways. No real answer to the question.

I am currently liking small bore long stroke.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do You consider to be "power", kW/HP or Nm , or both?

Not an scientifically reply, but rather a guess!

Bore diameter increase for more power (kW / HP) , longer stroke for more torque (Nm)?!

Granted, a larger bore diameter will also result in torque increase, same as a longer stroke will result in power increase - but i THINK there is an offset balance.

Any saw family featuring the same PH design with different stroke volumes are a good example, never mind if I mention Dolmar and Solo.

Below specs for the Dolmar PS-6400/PS-7300/PS-7900 saw family , same strokes but different bore's.
Dolmar PS-6400-7300-7900 specs.JPG

And then the Dolmar PS-9010 which features the same bore as the PS-7900 but a 5mm longer stroke (wow, never realized it was that much more!).
In Germany the Dolmar PS-9010 is lovingly being nicknamed "Steamhammer" ( Dampfhammer ) for her utter grunt. ;)
Dolmar PS-9010 specs.JPG

Interestingly the Solo 665/675/681 saw family, which is related to the Dolmar PS-6400/PS-7300/PS-7900 saw family, features identical bore diameters but 1mm longer stroke and both power (kW/HP) and torque (Nm) increased similarly/proportionally.

Solo 665-675-681 spec.JPG

I GUESS increasing both bore and stroke proportionally will make the most power AND torque depending on the PH used - it is a trade off balance act. o_O

Interesting topic, had to look up stuff myself! :)

DISCLAIMER:
This entire post is just a guestimation with no scientifically proven facts backing it up!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks @Wilhelm great info !!! What Iam more or less trying to find is the most saw friendly power gain for a work saw. So yes a torque increase would be what I'm after.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The port timing/ size, shape is different in all on the dolmar jugs. I believe that is the difference in power output.

You could add 2mm bore and stroke to any saw but if the port timing is off it will run worse than the smaller cc stock saw.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The port timing/ size, shape is different in all on the dolmar jugs. I believe that is the difference in power output.

You could add 2mm bore and stroke to any saw but if the port timing is off it will run worse than the smaller cc stock saw.
Well thats what Iam trying to find with the ideal conditions part. Could the longer stroke give a higher compression and maybe move the timing numbers in a more favorable direction?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well thats what Iam trying to find with the ideal conditions part. Could the longer stroke give a higher compression and maybe move the timing numbers in a more favorable direction?
Longer stroke raises piston speed at the same rpm. It does change how you can port for power.