High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

toro swx 5050

redram06

OPE Member
Local time
4:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
hello all, i'm working on a toro hydro mower that has the steering wheel. the owner said he stopped it to move a vehicle and then it wouldn't start back up. i found the ground wire on the solenoid to not have continuity to anything. i made a jumper from solenoid to battery ground and it starts but now the pto won't engage. also, at first when trying to start it would engage the starter with a bump but not turn over. i'm wondering if it could be the control module. i know this releases the brake mechanism but not sure if it controls cranking and pto too.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

redram06

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
update: i misspoke about the control module. the wiring diagram actually calls it the brake actuator. i found that the ground from the solenoid goes to the actuator and does have continuity but i don't know what it does in the actuator. i've checked all the switches and they appear to be working properly. i remember working on a similar issue on another z-mower that the brakes wouldn't release and it wouldn't perform some other functions but, it's been a long time and i don't recall what else it affected. i know after replacing the brake control everything worked. i just don't want to spend $125 on the control to "try" it at my expense or the owners.
anyone had a similar issue or have ideas about how to confirm it's the control unit ?
thanks

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
3:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
update: i misspoke about the control module. the wiring diagram actually calls it the brake actuator. i found that the ground from the solenoid goes to the actuator and does have continuity but i don't know what it does in the actuator. i've checked all the switches and they appear to be working properly. i remember working on a similar issue on another z-mower that the brakes wouldn't release and it wouldn't perform some other functions but, it's been a long time and i don't recall what else it affected. i know after replacing the brake control everything worked. i just don't want to spend $125 on the control to "try" it at my expense or the owners.
anyone had a similar issue or have ideas about how to confirm it's the control unit ?
thanks

Use a jumper wire to by-pass the unit in question. If it starts with the jumper in place, there's you guy.

redram06

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Steve, thanks for the reply. i'm with you on the jumper but, i don't know what to jump. the brake control unit has at least a dozen wires going to it maybe more. i'm thinking this unit works kinda like the brain in a car that feedback from several areas go through it to make everything work. seems logical to me since the ground from the starter solenoid goes to the control unit and there's the seat switch, park brake switch , pto switch, etc. if any of these are not satisfied the mower won't do anything. any ideas on how to check the brake control? the brakes do work on and off when switch is engaged. thanks for any help!

redram06

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
well guys the mower is running again and i thought i would share what the problem was. i finally gave up on trying to find the issue with this machine and at the owners agreement took it to the local dealership. turns out there was a thumbnail size piece of wood lodged in the neutral safety switch at the operator foot pedal. i remembered blowing a bunch of leaves and trash off of everything but, i didn't look closely enough at this area. seems it wasn't an electrical issue after all. just wanted to offer this fyi in case anyone finds the same problem