Husqvarna 2100CD ignitions woes.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Attempted to start my 2100 this morning but no spark.
IGN switch not stuck grounded, kill switch wire shows constant continuity to ground though. Pulled FW magnet has good strength.
Does anyone know whether the pro line ignitions are worth a darn for these things?

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should pull the flywheel and see if the kill switch wire insulation is deteriorated and grounding at that end. Bad insulation is a very common issue on those old ignitions.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I heat shrunk it all the way to the backing plate this morning. Cleaned all mounting hardware chased threads and cleaned mounting point tabs to bare metal. The insulation was in tact all the way which makes me think someone may have replaced it at some point.
If anyone has one of these can you check the resistance from kill lead to ground? I’m getting 26-27 ohms. This may be normal due to some resistor on the internal circuit though.

At any rate the saw fired second pull and started third pull this morning…. No idea what caused it to act this way past morning but, it is running now. I guess I’ll see if it tries to act like my old 031 and die when it gets good and hot.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I heat shrunk it all the way to the backing plate this morning. Cleaned all mounting hardware chased threads and cleaned mounting point tabs to bare metal. The insulation was in tact all the way which makes me think someone may have replaced it at some point.
If anyone has one of these can you check the resistance from kill lead to ground? I’m getting 26-27 ohms. This may be normal due to some resistor on the internal circuit though.

At any rate the saw fired second pull and started third pull this morning…. No idea what caused it to act this way past morning but, it is running now. I guess I’ll see if it tries to act like my old 031 and die when it gets good and hot.
May have been just a poor ground.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It uses a kind of "bastard " coil which is hard to find plus expensive if you can find one .Plus it has a large carb, very easy to flood . Powerfull saw if you can get them to start . I've got a west coaster which I think has been doctored on a tad bit . However it's having one of it's conipition fits at the moment . These things can be a fickle as teenaged prom queen. Before the inception of the 3120 Husqvarna these were the go to on modified saws set up for racing .

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It uses a kind of "bastard " coil which is hard to find plus expensive if you can find one .Plus it has a large carb, very easy to flood . Powerfull saw if you can get them to start . I've got a west coaster which I think has been doctored on a tad bit . However it's having one of it's conipition fits at the moment . These things can be a fickle as teenaged prom queen. Before the inception of the 3120 Husqvarna these were the go to on modified saws set up for racing .
were they better than the 394 , for that?

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you say conniption fit what type of malfunctions is it suffering?

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a couple 2100’s , and they are pretty dam reliable, good old school torque, not much to speak of as far as issues, once in a great while ignition or carb insulator block mite crack , but I’d go to wood war with them , 👍

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"When you say conniption fit what type of malfunctions is it suffering?" Right now I can't hardly pull it over . It might be the drum bushing worn out causing it to run eccentric jamming up the pawls .Add to that like I said I think it's been "enhanced " a little bit which would add to the problem .I've got about another cord to cut and maybe get back on the saws by weeks end .

Dale