davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I take a week or 2 break because of weather, it takes me a couple days to get those muscles conditioned to hucking a saw all day again. You get used to it, just like anything else.
I don’t huck the saw as much as I’d like. It’s more other peripheral work usually.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
…it’s probably a better hobby than a job. Turning a hobby into a job often takes the fun out of it. When I finish a big job and everything aches I dunno if I could do it all day every day. Then again I usually go dawn to dusk because I’m trying to get it done after hours, not 6 hours a day.

The six hour day is for a lot of reasons, but mostly because most people, regardless of conditioning are wore slap out after hauling a saw, gas, oil, lunch, axe, wedges… (you know the deal) into the woods and out, especially in steep ground like the lovely wet side of Warshington.

Of course, the six hours usually doesn’t include the hike in, or going home and grinding chains, and other saw maintenance. Or mixing fuel.

But… If you do it right, you get off early and can go fishing. 😉

Busheling is a different game. Being paid by the board foot makes people better fallers. They end up breaking less timber and may be inclined to work more than six hours a day.

Or you could always be a contractor for a falling module tipping trees on fires. Then you can enjoy hurry up and wait from 6A-10P, sleep in Joe Diffie’s favorite bed, and get up to do it all over again for however long it takes up to two weeks at a time.😉

Sometimes in the Klamath. Where there is nothing but steep ups and downs. And poison oak.

Last edited:

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you're in a good spot. You have a good business and can do tree work on the side.

Logging seems cool when you look at it from the outside, but working in the industry has a lot of ups and downs, and more downs than ups.

There are some guys that do their own thing and do pretty well but those situations take years to work into. You have build and groom
relationships with landowners, mills, subcontractors, mechanics, and suppliers. Even then, you might find yourself on a job where you're
looking at making good money in a short time but then one breakdown screws it all up.

My dad told me when I was kid that becoming a logger is a lot like becoming an actor - you starve for the first few years, and then
when you do make it, it's feast or famine. The old man was completely right.

I’m currently learning in the starving actor phase, put a lot more pressure on yourself.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Evansaw

Got to ask because I have absolutely no idea….how do they pay you on a job like this?
Hourly? Salary per day? Per tree?

I don’t want to know how much, that’s none of my business.
Unluckily here in Greece, money is peanuts for this kind of job
Salary per month it is, but it's ridiculously low

Wish i was in USA doing that i could buy one ported saw per day

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well...let me know more about this

You already know. The folks on the ground work by the hour with no guarantees and hope they can hustle enough to get ahead. The people in front of the screens watch the numbers and take a bigger cut. It’s the same everywhere. Probably better in the US than Greece, but still a hard physical job. If you’re lucky, it pays the bills.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried to catch a pic of my flipline yesterday but it just looks like I’m waving.
IMG_2002.jpeg
That was setting up for this cut. When they say nylon has an expiration date, they’re right.IMG_2005.jpeg
Not too much damage for a 30”, 700lb log. Lucky.
IMG_2007.jpeg
Then I hauled the mess to the firewood yard. Nice stack of sticks.
IMG_2006.jpeg

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted one of those.
Not sure how much land he has ,, but there is so much stuff in the bush it take at least 2 hours of walking to see it all,,, there are cats scrapers and tons of autos,, most auto are rusted beyond saving,, there are sheds full of stuff,,, he is reluctant to sell anything. Nice guy went to school with my bro. Owners dad sold lumber to my dad,, 50 yrs ago

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure how much land he has ,, but there is so much stuff in the bush it take at least 2 hours of walking to see it all,,, there are cats scrapers and tons of autos,, most auto are rusted beyond saving,, there are sheds full of stuff,,, he is reluctant to sell anything. Nice guy went to school with my bro. Owners dad sold lumber to my dad,, 50 yrs ago
Reminds me of a local place near my Dad. 4th generation mill. They just got this commercial band mill a year ago. Their planer was manufactured in 1910. Still spits boards faster than you can feed them. There’s old iron, dead cars, all kinds of good stuff in the woods there.
IMG_1596.jpeg