The Badly fixed 200t needs fixin some moar

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
6:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got this Stihl ms 200t from a car boot sale.

The story goes, I heard a guy asking how much is that saw. The seller says “£100” it’s got a scored piston. The buyer tries to haggle. The seller isn’t interested.

I walks around and picks up the saw and asks how much ? To the seller. ( pretending not to have heard the previous conversation).

He says £100, I says fine, I’ll take it as long as I’ve got the cash ? I paid him and walked away.

Here in the uk non running 200t go for silly money on evil bay £180-250….🤔😤

Hopefully I can highlight all the wrongs that this saw has done to it.

As well as all the rights that I do to it… so it can kill trees again..👹😈
IMG_7900.jpegIMG_7911.jpegIMG_7912.jpegIMG_4590.jpeg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This saw has seen a hard time being fixed up in the hands of someone other person 🤷‍♂️
Some Wrong screw heads on the recoil cover is the least of my worries 🫰.
Take a closer look in the fuel tank 🧐
IMG_7907.jpeg

The fuel filter hose is so long and wrong it’s at the top of the tank. I guess it be ok to use upside down 🤣
IMG_7909.jpeg
There was no air filter and no compensating tube , the carb looks interesting. I haven’t seen one of these types, I will get the number off it later.
IMG_7925.jpeg
You can see the missing and broken parts in this pic
The fuel breather is broken. And the ring that go on the inside and ring outer on the intake boot are missing 🤠
IMG_7941.jpeg
Now you can see the fixed&*f-worded fuel line 🤦‍♂️ but on a positive note it’s proper stihl fuel line that I can use later (impulse)

IMG_7916.jpeg
This spark plug is not telling the truth about the cylinder & piston 🤨

You can also see there is a pin missing that fits into the cylinder and locates in the chain break cover, it’s not in the chain break cover either 👎

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For some reason unbeknown to me the bad crapfixerupper decided to make a new route for the impulse line and then put the intake boot cover/clamp back on upside down as it wouldn’t fit 🤦‍♂️
IMG_7926.jpeg
Now have a look at the hole in the line that the new rough route made 🙄.
Have a Quick Look at the piston while you’re looking at that impulse line 🤷‍♂️. I did say the spark plug was hiding what the piston and cylinder was showing.😆
IMG_7938.jpeg
I guess if you push harder that upside down intake boot cover may just fit or just fukup the boot
IMG_7929.jpeg
Another wrong bolt used or just wrongly placed in another hole.
IMG_7927.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7928.jpeg
    IMG_7928.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 5

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let’s have a closer look at the piston 🤨🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

And just before you look, let me say, it had been fitted backwards. ( those that know these saws may have noticed it the other pic with the impulse line).
I don’t see any benefit in fitting it backwards, I just think it was done wrongly. Like most other things on this saw.🙄
IMG_7934.jpegIMG_7935.jpegIMG_7940.jpegIMG_7939.jpeg

Those keen eyes of yours will be full of tears of laughter now you’ve had a chance to scan the pics.

This piston has been polished all over including the top.
The lower ring 🤔….. that will make it look really unprofessional. how dafuc up person think that would work with the ends being that far apart. It must be a 38mm ring on a 40mm piston and the wrong thickness 🤦‍♂️ I bet that would give some ring flutter and make it sound meaner 😂

You guessed it,, this piston is junk. It’s just to loose in the cylinder, and that top ring has some wear on it

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let’s have a look at the new bar and chain on this saw
IMG_7944.jpeg
Wait…. What’s that extra hole for.
ahh damit… it’s the wrong bar for this saw [52 dl prolly of a husky or something]

That extra hole is for the chain tension location, and It don’t need a oil hole either 🤦‍♂️

What a Dum-ass guy…🤪

Now we’re on to the cylinder 👍
IMG_7933.jpegIMG_7932.jpegIMG_7931.jpeg

Errr…. If the piston is cleaned/polished with a new smaller ring, why don’t it work 🤔🤔

It don’t look like this cylinder was cleaned up. But I guess if it was cleaned up this saw didn’t run very much afterwards.
But on a positive note that cylinder will clean up real gooder than the last guy did with it 👍

Last edited:

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But on a positive note that cylinder will clean up real gooder than the last guy did with it 👍
I guess you could say for the first guy...where there is a will, there is a way!!

I am glad that with the 272 I found at the dump, I decided to take it all the way down to splitting the case and rebuilding it. There were many "improvements" I found the last owner had done. One cool thing was the front handle screws used to mount to the fuel tank, he replaced it with a longer one and when he cranked down he popped a hole in the fuel tank. While working on the unit, I flipped it on its side to work on the flywheel and then wondered where the puddle of fuel was coming from.....

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess you could say for the first guy...where there is a will, there is a way!!

I am glad that with the 272 I found at the dump, I decided to take it all the way down to splitting the case and rebuilding it. There were many "improvements" I found the last owner had done. One cool thing was the front handle screws used to mount to the fuel tank, he replaced it with a longer one and when he cranked down he popped a hole in the fuel tank. While working on the unit, I flipped it on its side to work on the flywheel and then wondered where the puddle of fuel was coming from.....
I’ve split the case on this saw, the crank is real easy to remove with the roller bearings. (Slides out)

Then this makes those silly hard plastic/Bakelite type crank seals a lot easier to remove/push/knock out from the inside .

It’s now got new ms260 flywheel side crank seals (metal )

I dont really want to have pull this saw apart again just because of old leaky crank seals that are almost impossible to remove. However these new metal seals can be pulled out with a drywall screw if needed

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So still a good buy for a hundred quid Sean?
Yes indeed Adam 👍
I’ve spent a bit on screws and stuff however, I didn’t like the price of a new oem intake boot 🥺. It’s An eye watering price around £35/40 when an aftermarket was less than a 3rd of the price. So I brought a 2nd hand “oem” for abit less than a China part
The screen shot from Ls engineers is plus VAT 20%. you can see the item I bought from eBay.
IMG_4596.pngIMG_4595.png
These saws are selling in the £250-350 and upwards price range working but still unknown.

At this rate I should get a known good working saw for about £150\175

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At least it has a 1202 and not a 1201 🤣
🤔

Sorry that one has me. I don’t know the difference in the 2 cylinders ? Apart from 1201 is the part for a 020 and the 1202 is for the 200 and there is a price is different 🤔🤷‍♂️ and both parts fit each other

Can you tell me what I’m missing 🙄
😜

Attachments

• IMG_4598.png
    IMG_4598.png
    434 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4597.png
    IMG_4597.png
    458.4 KB · Views: 7

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
🤔

Sorry that one has me. I don’t know the difference in the 2 cylinders ? Apart from 1201 is the part for a 020 and the 1202 is for the 200 and there is a price is different 🤔🤷‍♂️ and both parts fit each other

😜

1201 has dual transfer. No divider in the middle and the base pattern is a little different. It’s the kind of thing you find in a thrice jimmy-rigged climber’s saw.
020 carbs are also slightly different. No accelerator pump. You may have one of those.

I’m enjoying this thread. Rebuilding 200t’s is a journey of worn out, bandaged and beat on some more. I especially like the backwards piston with the previously scored incorrect rings.

Last edited:

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
🤔

😜
1000000249.jpg

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You would be amazed at how many Stihl top-handle saws have been thrown away because 52 DL chains that work fine on Echo and other brands have been bought that are too long for Stihl bars.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You would be amazed at how many Stihl top-handle saws have been thrown away
All top handles should be thrown away...I just fixed two for a buddy, can't wait to give them back.
because 52 DL chains that work fine on Echo and other brands have been bought that are too long for Stihl bars.
That is on the guys buying them....they need to look at their bar or count their drivers. I had customers that would come in and say "I need a new blade for my chainsaw"....and then the 20 questions began. Usually ended when I asked if their gauge was .050 or .063...and they would reply..."Does it matter??". I loved when people who didn't know much of what they were doing brought in their saw...that made it super easy to get them what they wanted, I even usually put the chain on for them and it turned into a teaching moment.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s a bit of an update on this saw.

Those parts I ordered, arrived and I started getting it back together.
I cleaned sorted out the recoil, as the end tab wasn’t sitting flush. I replaced the short starter cord and pawl
IMG_7943.jpeg
IMG_7973.jpeg

I did a little muff mod (drilled a 8mm hole to increase the flow but not to make it louder), we have a slightly different exhaust on the 200 here.

IMG_7981.jpeg

I fueled it up and went to start it. 🤔 only to find it sort of worked for a bit, then wouldn’t tick over 🙄
I guess I should have looked into the carb first. 😤
IMG_7983.jpegIMG_7982.jpeg
Yes someone else has removed the fuel strainer and not put it back.
I swapped the carb for some other carb I had here, that didn’t work either . but in the meantime I’ve seemed to have misplaced the original carb 🤔

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did get it running for a while after tinkering with the second carb, then I found out I couldn’t switch it off 🤷‍♂️
So I ended up putting the choke on to kill the engine.
Once I looked into the handle switch, the answer was right there 🤦‍♂️ the parts in red circle just wasn’t there 🙄

I’ve yet to order these. when I get time I will have a good look at what else is wrong or missing. As well as try find that carb, I couldn’t really read the number on the side so I’m still unsure if it has a fuel pump & if it has it could be leaking thus another reason it I didn’t work
IMG_4620.jpeg

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once I looked into the handle switch, the answer was right there 🤦‍♂️ the parts in red circle just wasn’t there 🙄
I'm thinking those parts might be optional, at least the last owner thought so :D

The 272 xpg had all of its wires clipped from the heated handles, I'm guessing the last owner didn't realize there is a separate on/off switch for it...