Country flag

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are going a different route this year, low country boil. Shrimp, sausages, potatoes, corn and crab legs. My daughters decided on this meal, I'm a sucker for shrimp so no arguing on this. Getting fresh shrimp from shem creek in charleston today.
Sounds good. Actually it is probably closer to what the pilgrims and indians ate at the first Thanksgiving than what people eat today. I did some research one year to try and find out what they actually ate. We know the Indians brought venison. We know there was lots of seafood, nuts, corn and some sort of wild birds but we don't know if they were turkeys, ducks or geese. They did not have potatoes, green beans or bread except for cornbread. This year is the 400th anniversary of the first one. I'm going to research it some more. It's pretty interesting stuff to me.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My friend is having breakfast for Thanksgiving
I'll stop by there
She's been doing this for 10+ years
Everyone has other dinner's to go to with the extended families.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wednesday night my parents will do a regular roast Turkey in the oven. Dad sometimes will deep fry it. And we have a duck. In-laws on Thursday and just the regular turkey stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea what my wife will be cooking this year. I could look to see whether there is a turkey defrosting in one of the refrigerators, but I won't. Whatever it is, will be good, and I will get my fill. I am just thankful to live in this wonderful country, with good friends and family. We are blessed beyond belief. We will have some of the kids here, and we open our homes to those we know that may not have anywhere to go. Some take us up on it, while others don't.

God bless y'all, and have a happy Thanksgiving.

jed1124

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a twenty pound turkey. I’m particular about the stuffing. I think it makes the meal.
Stale break broke down, herbs and spices. I start with onions, carrots, and celery. A stick of butter. A roll of Jimmie Dean sausage. Let it all break down and get gooey. Couple of cloves of garlic, cooking slow. Dump the bread in. Handful of pecans. Hangul of dried cranberries. Turkey neck for flavor. Turkey stock to bring it all together. 3 eggs dumped in.
Stuff the bird.
Season the bird with salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, and dill.
Sides.
Brussels sprouts, garlic, sautéed in bacon grease.
White Corn in butter sauce
Green bean casserole
Mash poes of course
Turnips with lots of butter and salt
Homemade gravy. Leave that jar chit at home
Sweet potato pie
Pecan pie
About 15 members of the family coming over.
Going to watch my boy run the ball in the morning, with a win they make the playoffs. Senior year. One of 4 captains of the team. Couldn’t be more proud.

It’s going to be a good day……

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
8:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jed1124

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wait, biscuits come from a store. I need to tell my wife, she is doing it wrong using flour and butter and s_word!

Your right. I cheat on the biscuits. I just can’t get enough of those Pilsbury frozen biscuits in the blue bag. Remind me of kfc biscuits.
That being said the previous biscuit recipe might provoke me to do my due diligence and make ‘em from scratch……

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
48F2FE23-2BA3-4E4C-A721-B216F25611B1.jpeg Made a pot of fire chili last night for our annual day before turkey day social gathering at my best friends house. He always gets oysters the day before. Bunch of elevator guys stopping by, it’s kinda funny watching the wimps dig into this!

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dodged a bullet yesterday
One of my sister's cooked a turkey
She lives in Ohio and brought it
To another sisters house
I have 5 sister's.
Fortunately I had to work yesterday
Because my other sister said the turkey was cooked while not completely unthawed
And wasn't seasoned or anything
She did remove the gut bag at least.
So to eat some of it
She cut slices and fried it just to be nice
It was terrible she said.

Last edited: