Testing different timing advances on tree monkeyed 661

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
11:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Friend of mine @Tbrown milled up some timing keys for me with various amounts taken off.

Tested

.0755 (stock)
.0550 (.02 off ...what I most often hear)

The setup: Tree monkey 661 36" cannon bar. 6 new stihl .404 RS full comp chains. wood is oak ties banded together approx 29 x 36"

Tools
2e0jqet.jpg

new chains taken off the roll in order.
3crs.jpg

keys - perfectly milled... so .0550 is .0550 exactly!
2iwasrn.jpg

pic of results attached.

Attachments

• TA - TM661.jpg
    TA - TM661.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the m-tronic readjust for timing as well as the fuel ?
the last one seemed peppier at first then the times went back to the above ones on the second cut .

I don't think it does at all Brian. I believe it has a start mode (retarded) an idle mode, and an advance mode.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Redbull's tests have taught me a lot.

Big rep for you sir.
Whut he said times 2
Green rep for you for these tests

You guys make sure to buy the test chains when he puts up for sale ,He has a great price on oem stihl chains ,and real fair shipping prices also .

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be nice to try this with other saws. Too bad it's such a large undertaking and very time consuming.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be nice to try this with other saws. Too bad it's such a large undertaking and very time consuming.
On my reg carb saws i only notice the difference when limbing,throttle response is quicker ,felling and bucking it may be different ,but i do not notice it as much .

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I thought I could do 3 changes per hour...so about 2hrs. It took me 5hrs. Still don't understand how it took so long. I didn't even get side tracked talking to Scott! :Saeufer:

process
- warm up saw in "burn" log with warm up chain.
- knock out filter
- new chain
- start saw and run full throttle to stretch chain
- re-tension chain
- get thermo started up
- top off with gas and oil
- do test cuts
- quickly take jug temp
- take off air filter cover and put on hard wired tach
- piss rev saw like heck ot get max no load reading
- write down your readings
change:
- take off cover and flywheel - you have to let key cool down or it deforms too easy punching it out
- while key is cooling down top off fuel + oil and pick up square cookies.
- measure and double check key - diamond file any mini burrs
- install key, flywheel etc.
- start saw and let it idle for 30 sec or so
- go do 5-6 cuts in "burn" log
-repeat.

So based the times if we figure some sort of margin of error to account for knots and different variables from cut to cut, one might say they are really So close that there's barely any difference if any.

Jug temps - I've heard people say that jug temp rises with more and more advance. I thought it was interesting that they all operated inside of 5 degrees difference

Max no load RPM - I think it's interesting how rpm started lower with stock key and rose til .045 and then we lost back to stock levels with the .0375 key. Pattern/trend is there.

Times dropped a little bit with each increase in advance up until .045 Then we lost again at .0375.

Differences in cut 1 to cut 2 - up until .045 the difference was minimal. both .045 and .0375 have a wider gap.

For me at least me personally - I am looking at all the data points and I am thinking ok I should redo 3 of these... start out with .0375 then go to .0450 and then depending on those results (do I repeat my earlier results? something new happen?) go to .0425 or .0475.
-----------------------------------------------------

and here is the real kicker!...
So I am looking at all the data and saying most likely the best is between probably .0400 to .0450. Now the key that @tree monkey did which I removed for the test...he did it on a grinder by hand...just eye balling it...saying "yeah that looks good." .04350 LOL Which is probably perfect given the results.

Not only that, but I checked the other key in the other tree monkey 661 and it was .04380. Sooo that means he eye balled two them at different times by hand on a grinder to within .0030!!! :worship2::worship2::worship2:

Last edited:

Rains

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I Always enjoy your tests !! Thanks for all your hard work.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I thought I could do 3 changes per hour...so about 2hrs. It took me 5hrs. Still don't understand how it took so long. I didn't even get side tracked talking to Scott! :Saeufer:

process
- warm up saw in "burn" log with warm up chain.
- knock out filter
- new chain
- start saw and run full throttle to stretch chain
- re-tension chain
- get thermo started up
- top off with gas and oil
- do test cuts
- quickly take jug temp
- take off air filter cover and put on hard wired tach
- piss rev saw like heck ot get max no load reading
- write down your readings
change:
- take off cover and flywheel - you have to let key cool down or it deforms too easy punching it out
- while key is cooling down top off fuel + oil and pick up square cookies.
- measure and double check key - diamond file any mini burrs
- install key, flywheel etc.
- start saw and let it idle for 30 sec or so
- go do 5-6 cuts in "burn" log
-repeat.

Jug temps - I've heard people say that jug temp rises with more and more advance. I thought it was interesting that they all operated inside of 5 degrees difference

Max no load RPM - I think it's interesting how rpm started lower with stock key and rose til .045 and then we lost back to stock levels with the .0375 key. Pattern/trend is there.

Times dropped a little bit with each increase in advance up until .045 Then we lost again at .0375.

Differences in cut 1 to cut 2 - up until .045 the difference was minimal. both .045 and .0375 have a wider gap.

For me at least me personally - I am looking at all the data points and I am thinking ok I should redo 3 of these... start out with .0375 then go to .0450 and then depending on those results (do I repeat my earlier results? something new happen?) go to .0425 or .0475.
-----------------------------------------------------

and here is the real kicker!...
So I am looking at all the data and saying most likely the best is between probably .0400 to .0450. Now the key that @tree monkey did which I removed for the test...he did it on a grinder by hand...just eye balling it...saying "yeah that looks good." .04350 LOL Which is probably perfect given the results.

Not only that, but I checked the other key in the other tree monkey 661 and it was .04380. Sooo that means he eye balled two them at different times by hand on a grinder to within .0030!!! :worship2::worship2::worship2:
You do this long enough you get a good eye for guessing thousands.
I've not done this as long as him but I and I'm sure he can cut 030 by hand out of a chamber and damn neer hit it dead without measuring,I do it all the time.

File a couple hundred keys and you know how much just by looking.