Stihl ms362 filter help

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought this saw used, don't have a manual and I am not sure what exact model I have; the left side sticker just says "ms362." How can I tell? And is there a way to tell the year model?

Found a manual online for ms362 and the filter in the manual is round, doesn't look like mine. Then found a manual online for ms362-c. The online URL says ms362-c but the cover of the manual says ms362-c-q. I find that "q" means Quickstop chain brake feature but I dunno if I have that.

Anyway, the latter manual has a filter setup that looks like mine. It has a felt prefilter and a fleece filter; they are not round, kind of more angular shape. Instructions say...

"Separate the felt prefilter (1) from the fleece filter (2) and clean – see below. Knock the filter out on the palm of your hand or blow it clear with compressed air from the inside outwards. If filter is caked with dirt, Wash the filter in STIHL special cleaner (special accessory) or a clean, non-flammable solution (e.g. warm soapy water) and then dry."

Where it says "if filter is caked, wash the filter" -- does this mean BOTH the prefilter and the filter or just the fleece filter?

My prefilter is caked inside with wood particles; unsure how to get that off correctly. The inside fleece filter looks ok. Hmmm... I might just buy new filters. Do you guys suggest only buying OEM or is after market ok? I would think OEM will be more expensive but I will do it if need be. This 362 is great; it is ported.

EDIT: I think my OEM air filter p/n is 1140 140 4401. (Does not look like that includes the prefilter, it's just the filter.)

Last edited:

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought this saw used, don't have a manual and I am not sure what exact model I have; the left side sticker just says "ms362." How can I tell? And is there a way to tell the year model?

Found a manual online for ms362 and the filter in the manual is round, doesn't look like mine. Then found a manual online for ms362-c. The online URL says ms362-c but the cover of the manual says ms362-c-q. I find that "q" means Quickstop chain brake feature but I dunno if I have that.

Anyway, the latter manual has a filter setup that looks like mine. It has a felt prefilter and a fleece filter; they are not round, kind of more angular shape. Instructions say...

"Separate the felt prefilter (1) from the fleece filter (2) and clean – see below. Knock the filter out on the palm of your hand or blow it clear with compressed air from the inside outwards. If filter is caked with dirt, Wash the filter in STIHL special cleaner (special accessory) or a clean, non-flammable solution (e.g. warm soapy water) and then dry."

Where it says "if filter is caked, wash the filter" -- does this mean BOTH the prefilter and the filter or just the fleece filter?

My prefilter is caked inside with wood particles; unsure how to get that off correctly. The inside fleece filter looks ok. Hmmm... I might just buy new filters. Do you guys suggest only buying OEM or is after market ok? I would think OEM will be more expensive but I will do it if need be. This 362 is great; it is ported.
Pics of what you have would help here.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would stay with OEM filters if replacing.

Iceboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You probably have the old version of the powersaw with old style filter. If not mistaken it should be prior 2013. There is a "conversion kit" to install the new type air filter

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H818 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there any recommended online source for OEM parts or just go to a dealer? As for that, are most all Stihl dealers going to charge the same price or does it vary?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You might consider the Duke's air filter on e-bay for about $12. Or, spend some time cleaning what you already have. I just use soap and water and a good cleaning brush. Good luck!

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a like new 362 locally from member here that had that filter. Nice saw. Didn't have any problems. Sold it regrettably. I always have seller's remorse.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a like new 362 locally from member here that had that filter. Nice saw. Didn't have any problems. Sold it regrettably. I always have seller's remorse.

Found cure for seller's remorse . Sell one and buy two.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You might consider the Duke's air filter on e-bay for about $12. Or, spend some time cleaning what you already have. I just use soap and water and a good cleaning brush. Good luck!

Clean both prefilter and filter with soap/water? (As I stated in my OP, that is not clear in the manual.)

I don't understand why I never see the prefilter for sale with the filter. It's always just the filter.

Buying the two of them is not cheap, even after market!

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clean both prefilter and filter with soap/water? (As I stated in my OP, that is not clear in the manual.)

I don't understand why I never see the prefilter for sale with the filter. It's always just the filter.

Buying the two of them is not cheap, even after market!
I would use the Stihl supplied filter, there is no knowing what the aftermarket
filter will let into the engine.
It seems you have the older style filter as others said.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I still have my first 362 I ever bought, 2012 or so. The air filter I have on it now is an aftermarket one I got off of ebay. I greased the edges like I do on any filter and it works just fine. Even though these early ones aren't notable for keeping the dust out.

20201119_000000.jpg

Last edited:

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still have my first 362 I ever bought, 2012 or so. The air filter I have on it now is an aftermarket one I got off of ebay. I greased the edges like I do on any filter and it works just fine. Even though these early ones aren't notable for keeping the dust out.

View attachment 267780

Did you replace the prefilter, too, or still using the original one or none at all?

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found pics of the 362 I let go. It was basically brand new.
662b2015a19040d6a7c71717d565cbc5.jpg
1eaba4efae564ab7623d0b30497ade21.jpg
4ea3ba745d9d161f26d6da27561b138a.jpg
c5ba09c509293eb3da0ae146f88981f0.jpg

rustypete

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You probably have the old version of the powersaw with old style filter. If not mistaken it should be prior 2013. There is a "conversion kit" to install the new type air filter

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H818 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
2010 to 2013 are like the one I have the round one came after that and can you tell me where or part number of the conversion kit is thanks rustypete PS. great site like it a lot

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is no conversion kit. The new parts that are used for the round air filter are not compatible with the older flat filter parts. Not only the air filter was changed. It was a complete revision of the saw including many parts.