Stihl ms250 opinions?

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning guys. We've been beat up pretty bad with downed trees here in PA over the last few months. Been up to my neck in brush for quite a while helping friends and neighbors clean up. My friend's dad got hit pretty hard so he decided to upgrade his saw and came home with a 250. Is it just me or is this saw completely gutless? I'm not trying to bash the brand and this is the first homeowner Stihl I've ever ran but I was very unimpressed. Even in 12" pine it just bogged. Any downward pressure and it just stopped. I know it's new and should see some gain after getting broke in but is this the typical performance of the 250? Can they be tuned better? It's not mine so I didn't want to mess with it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My buddy runs an MS230, which I believe they are very similar but the MS250 has a few more cc's, and it kicks butt for the small saw it is.

Probably needs tuning and may have a congested muffler.

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
might be the tune, could be the chain as well..... my 250 screams and with a sharp chain is a great little saw
Thanks. Saw was brand new. I'll look it over more when I help them cut again. Appreciate the feedback.

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My buddy runs an MS230, which I believe they are very similar but the MS250 has a few more cc's, and it kicks butt for the small saw it is.

Probably needs tuning and may have a congested muffler.
Thanks. I'll do more research. Appreciate your feedback. Again, not my saw but I'll check the tune when we cut again.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Muffler mod and a healthy tune with a timing bump and they run pretty damn good for what they are...I like em'

I swapped a few over to PS with a rim kit and they really scoot after that.

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Muffler mod and a healthy tune with a timing bump and they run pretty damn good for what they are...I like em'

I swapped a few over to PS with a rim kit and they really scoot after that.
Thanks. I won't mess with it because it's not mine but I will check the tune. Honestly, I wish he would've gotten something a little bigger.