Stihl Kombi System

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've seen these at the dealers but I've never met anyone that has one.

Whats everyone's thoughts. Are they worth a darn?
What other brands sell something similar

ayoungtexan

I tell a lot of lies
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I like mine, but if you want one to run things like edgers and pole saws, you’re gonna want at least a mid-level or preferably bigger. Stihls would be the KM91, Husqvarna would be the 525LK and Echo would be the PAS2620. If youre only gonna run a trimmer attachment, it’s better to buy a dedicated trimmer

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Km94R Komi head and a bunch of attachments. I’d love to get a second powerhead so I am not changing all the time but it’s a great tool.
I would seriously consider the Echo PAS system as well. I only chose the Stihl because I don’t have a relationship with any Echo dealers. If I was in the USA I’d probably hit up @Gentleman for some prices on the Echo during the sale this month. 15% off is pretty good deal.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a Km94R Komi head and a bunch of attachments. I’d love to get a second powerhead so I am not changing all the time but it’s a great tool.
I would seriously consider the Echo PAS system as well. I only chose the Stihl because I don’t have a relationship with any Echo dealers. If I was in the USA I’d probably hit up @Gentleman for some prices on the Echo during the sale this month. 15% off is pretty good deal.

Just got a 526xpg off him LOL. What all do you have to do for the head switching on the stihls?

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like mine, but if you want one to run things like edgers and pole saws, you’re gonna want at least a mid-level or preferably bigger. Stihls would be the KM91, Husqvarna would be the 525LK and Echo would be the PAS2620. If youre only gonna run a trimmer attachment, it’s better to buy a dedicated trimmer

I do a little bit of everything any was kinda wanting an all in one tool. Are there any drawbacks to the kombi trimmer compared to a dedicated unit?

MS500i R

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I do a little bit of everything any was kinda wanting an all in one tool. Are there any drawbacks to the kombi trimmer compared to a dedicated unit?

Depends on what you need for a trimmer. If you are just using line, and don't see any need to run clearing blades I'm sure the Kombi is fine. You might be able to get a lighter unit as a dedicated string trimmer. Personally I do a fair amount of scrub clearing using a mix of tri-wing, and scratcher blades. So I went with a FS240. I also very much prefer the handlebars over the hoop and shaft grip.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Depends on what you need for a trimmer. If you are just using line, and don't see any need to run clearing blades I'm sure the Kombi is fine. You might be able to get a lighter unit as a dedicated string trimmer. Personally I do a fair amount of scrub clearing using a mix of tri-wing, and scratcher blades. So I went with a FS240. I also very much prefer the handlebars over the hoop and shaft grip.

Im a big fan of the handles as well. I use a commercial model string trimmer with the handle bars for all of my heavier needs. If I end up with a kombi it will probably see most of it's use around my grandparents houses

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I absolutely love mine! I have an fs250r that I converted to kombi, I use the pole saw a ton, and the articulating hedge trimmer attachment a lot as well, I recommend getting the articulating version versus the fixed, it’s a lot more money but well worth it! I have heard a few complaints about the newer version of the pole saw attachment being quarter inch pitch chain, I have the old three eights low profile, and love it!You can never have too much power go big or go home! I would like to find an FS85r and convert it to Kombi use as well, most of the tine I don’t need the power, but it is nice! I would never buy another standard Weedwhacker again! Would always buy kombi, the versatility is very nice, and you’re getting to use the powerhead more often limiting carburetor issues from sitting. The blower attachment is surprisingly good. I have the Weedwhacker attachment blower attachment articulating hedge trimmer and a couple extension shafts along with the pole saw! I have never regretted the system!

furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a km110, I’ve had a km85, km 130 and probably others. I used it mainly as an edger but I have the trimmer and pole saw attachments as well. I redo horse fences on the side and it’s nice to have the kombi so I can switch from a string head to a brush blade easily by having two trimmer attachments.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you stihl like the 94 head attachment? I looked at them and they do not have an adjustable carb.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you stihl like the 94 head attachment? I looked at them and they do not have an adjustable carb.

No complaints here use it summer and winter. Only change I made to it was a colder spec plug as it was hard starting in the winter. There are times in the hot summer days that it feels like it is racing and the carb should be adjusted, I increase my oil ration and adjust the throttle limiter down a bit. Just ordered some new brush cutter saw blades for it to take down a bunch of Silver Maple sucker saplings that are invading the shoreline of the creek. Will spend an hour behind it this weekend trimming the yard and need to get to pole saw back on to trim some dead branches off the willows.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would like to get into a system myself. Looking at trimmer use with brush blades, power broom, etc. Looking at stihl 2 stroke and 4mix. Also the echo pas. I don’t hear much about husky. Just looking for reliability.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They absolutely have an adjustable carburetor. The high speed jet is on the back, the low is on the top. It takes a 4 mm thin wall hex driver.View attachment 379219
WOW, the dealer told me it did not have an adjustable carb. What does that tell you about my dealer? You cannot see it from the exterior, like you can on every other piece of OPE. Thanks

How do you like your KM94?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WOW, the dealer told me it did not have an adjustable carb. What does that tell you about my dealer? You cannot see it from the exterior, like you can on every other piece of OPE. Thanks

How do you like your KM94?
Sounds like you need a new dealer. This is actually just the regular FS94R. The KM version has a paper pleated air filter. The newer models have the purge button on the front of the power head not on the top. I think the sun was degrading them too bad with it being on the top.

The combi system I have is a Maruyama M30QC. It's better in every way than the equivalent Stihl except an availability. They're just aren't many dealers but I have one here in town. In order to have the same power as this 30cc Maruyama, I'd have to get the 130 and I don't like 4-Mix.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would like to get into a system myself. Looking at trimmer use with brush blades, power broom, etc. Looking at stihl 2 stroke and 4mix. Also the echo pas. I don’t hear much about husky. Just looking for reliability.
I’ve got the Husqvarna 535LK head with the articulating head hedge trimmer , weed whipper, pole saw (converted to run a 16” .375 lo pro chain), 3 brush cutter attachments with different blades on each one, and 4 additional extensions. I took the catalyst out of the muffler before I even put fuel in her. You could offer me 2 complete Stihl systems and I would still use this Husqvarna 535LK. I picked up everything from when the owners (Bruce) ran a 20% off sale …July 2020……. Killer deal !!!!!

I use it to clear weed overgrown woods, the blade cutters slice through 6” saplings (if 6” are still saplings) like a hot knife going through butter. Rarely ever need full throttle and sips fuel

I’m never getting rid of this !!!!
2020-07-17 17.29.38.jpeg2021-05-28 16.10.00.jpeg2022-05-23 18.02.17.jpeg2021-05-28 16.10.20.jpeg2020-07-17 19.12.24.jpeg

Last edited:

aeolian

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...Rarely ever need full throttle...
The centrifugal clutch and the presence of just a single main jet in
the carburetor are the main reasons that those small 2T engines ,used on most OPE, should be operated at Wide Open Throttle if not left idling .The throttle should be considered more as an "On-Off" switch .
If not ,premature clutch failure and/or engine failure due to lean fuel mixture ( at half throttle the carb can not supply the gasoline needed to keep the fuel mix at
appropriate ratio
) are to be expected .