High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl fs 100 rx trouble

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a stihl 100 rx that is running real sluggish It doesn't run rough , just slow. No matter how much line you have out or zero for that matter. It still runs like it is under a load. Not much happens when you turn the adjustment screws on the carb, if anything it gets worse. Thought it might be the muffler. Got rid of the screen a long time ago and there isn't any oily splooge coming from it. I've tried echo red armor pre-mixed gas,VP pre-mixed, and also 100 octane race gas mixed with Maxima k2 at 40:1. Nothing seems to make much of a difference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Check air filter. Also some of those trimmers had coil issues that would also cause that. I'd q lso look at carb

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The air filter is clean. I pulled then muffler today and found quite a bit of carbon on the exhaust valve. Also pulled the plug and the top of the piston is pretty nasty. Haven't bothered the carb. Confused why I have so much carbon because I always use quality fuel and oil. Dont know much about a 4 mix but guess I'm going to tear into it this weekend. Any ins and outs I need to know about a 4 mix? Valve adjustments etc?

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
3:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The valves probably need doing, i have the right shim but can't remember the size, I was told to change the gasket at the same time

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Is it worth tearing in to? Or should I call it scrap? In the past I've had them worked on by dealers. It seems like once these trimmers start acting up you can't get them running like new again. I hate to spend a bunch of money on a 6 year old trimmer when a new one is $350.
Treesmith, What gasket are you referring to?
Backhoelover, Is cam wear a common problem? Also how much of a pain is it to change?

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an fs90 that I had issues with last week. Moved to the country 3 yrs ago and haven't had the need to use it. So I decided to to a muffler mod on it and trim the limiters on the carb. Had a heck of a time setting the carb. All over the place. Come to find out, my 4 mix doesn't like 32:1. Threw some VP 50:1 and it tuned right in. Carb was still super super touchy.

Could be your valves need adjusted?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have an fs90 that I had issues with last week. Moved to the country 3 yrs ago and haven't had the need to use it. So I decided to to a muffler mod on it and trim the limiters on the carb. Had a heck of a time setting the carb. All over the place. Come to find out, my 4 mix doesn't like 32:1. Threw some VP 50:1 and it tuned right in. Carb was still super super touchy.

Could be your valves need adjusted?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

The trimmer only reacts at the very last point of adjustment, on the lean side, i think. How did you do your muffler mod? I think the excess of carbon on the valves and piston may have come from a stuffy muffler.

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ain't nothing fancy, but it works. ...the top comes straight out of the exhaust port. The muff is baffled throughout, so I drilled a couple lower by the original port.

bbef4d5366e91351b0970ee345b88f19.jpg

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
3:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Treesmith, What gasket are you referring to?

Don't know the trimmer you have but on the 4mix engines at work the valves are under a pressed tin cover with a square cork gasket, I was told to change this gasket every time the valve clearances were done which should be often, can't remember the figure but it was something like every 40hrs or less

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don't know the trimmer you have but on the 4mix engines at work the valves are under a pressed tin cover with a square cork gasket, I was told to change this gasket every time the valve clearances were done which should be often, can't remember the figure but it was something like every 40hrs or less

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea the valves had to be done that often. I'm sure the that might have something to do with the problem.