Stihl 3/8 .50.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
10:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 038 mag with it's original chain and it is exactly the same type of driver link.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@qurotro there is something about the uk chain market. We don’t seem to run std 3/8 in .50 it’s really only the .63 thus all the std 3/8 bars are .63
However. The 3/8 lopro is .50

but as I say I,ve got a 3/8 .50 cannon (edit GB) bar coming to me so I can use the roll of chain I brought by mistake and it must be old stock..

its going to take me a while to use this roll of chain. So I will keep my eyes open on eBay.uk and just hopefully a bar comes up cheap ;)

Last edited:

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you can run the .050 chain on a .063 bar it runs just fine it just rocks back and forth a bit and will probably wear the drivers a little more but i have ran it lots on .063 bar

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
10:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you can run the .050 chain on a .063 bar it runs just fine it just rocks back and forth a bit and will probably wear the drivers a little more but i have ran it lots on .063 bar
NO! You will ruin both the bar and chain. The rail will wear uneven resulting the cut is not straight

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NO! You will ruin both the bar and chain. The rail will wear uneven resulting the cut is not straight

yes I agree, the extra gap difference will not allow the oil to be spread evenly up the bar and into the the chain.
The chain will bind more easily in the cut if there is a difference in cutters. Ie you dull one side a bit more than the other side, then the rail & drive links get hotter etc..

if I told you those pesky farmatec shifty people sent me 1.5 [.58]gauge instead of 1.6 [.63] and I noticed it. And now really hate using the chain, in a worn bar.

that’s like using .50 in a .63 bar..

now don’t get me wrong. If i needed to get the job done. I'd use it if it was all I had. But only to get the job done.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
im not saying to do it as a normal practice, but you can run it in the meantime.

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you go into a Stihl dealer or other chainsaw shop and special order a Stihl or other branded bar or 2. Maybe get one online from 1 of the country's on your side of the earth? Stihl bars i believe are made in Germany. Maybe something from China worth while off ebay with a money back guarantee in case it's not adequate.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you go into a Stihl dealer or other chainsaw shop and special order a Stihl or other branded bar or 2. Maybe get one online from 1 of the country's on your side of the earth? Stihl bars i believe are made in Germany. Maybe something from China worth while off ebay with a money back guarantee in case it's not adequate.

bars arnt really that cheap over here, and most places add there large percentage. If I buy it from Europe I will get 20% vat added.
I did look at farmatec, yes the bars are cheap but others here say they don’t last very long and then add to postage. It’s not worth it.

i did look around, maybe not that hard thou, you do end up going rounding circles after a while.

I’ve got a bar coming from Jimbear and I’m very pleased.

In the meantime I have another plan. which is a friend travels about with his job (AmericanExpress) so when I see him next time I will ask him if he can bring one back.