JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The man was busy, apparently.

Just need one of these to modify and see how it does chunking. Should have bought the other Tim's saws when he sold it. I fuk up.
Jump on it Ken! Ya the super Tim had was very impressive.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Jump on it Ken! Ya the super Tim had was very impressive.
I never really worked with an 034. I own all the rest of the three series Stihl saws from 036-362mtrons. All of them but 034 and 034S. They have tight AV and pull medium bars imo. Perfect for one job, chunking it seems.

My 260 started waking up today with 40-1 and 95 gas... it's still stock. Maybe ten or fifteen tanks through it in years. I don't like the full time pump but really need more saw behind anything bigger than an 18" bar. It likes less bar not more. An 18-24 seems good to me. Economy matters to up the tree.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never really worked with an 034. I own all the rest of the three series Stihl saws from 036-362mtrons. All of them but 034 and 034S. They have tight AV and pull medium bars imo. Perfect for one job, chunking it seems.

My 260 started waking up today with 40-1 and 95 gas... it's still stock. Maybe ten or fifteen tanks through it in years. I don't like the full time pump but really need more saw behind anything bigger than an 18" bar. It likes less bar not more. An 18-24 seems good to me. Economy matters to up the tree.
I ported my 034 myself. I also had got a super top end. That originally was my plan to install. I wanted to do a before and after with the 034 vs 034 super. It runs so well and has the power i like, i never did do the super top end. I have a 18” bar for it that i run 3/8” LGX. Limbing and chunkin’ its really nice, all hardwood, it didnt enjoy stumping but it does it with good torque. She sounds angry:D

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I ported my 034 myself. I also had got a super top end. That originally was my plan to install. I wanted to do a before and after with the 034 vs 034 super. It runs so well and has the power i like, i never did do the super top end. I have a 18” bar for it that i run 3/8” LGX. Limbing and chunkin’ its really nice, all hardwood, it didnt enjoy stumping but it does it with good torque. She sounds angry:D
What kind of port timing numbers do these have? Nowhere near my 361 or 2 I'm sure. Never timed my 036 metal badge.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What kind of port timing numbers do these have? Nowhere near my 361 or 2 I'm sure. Never timed my 036 metal badge.
Stock on mine was /minus gasket.
I-73
T-119
E-105
BD-14

I do believe i was closer to .016 squish but sanded band to .018.

I took it to.....

I-76
T-123
E-102
BD-21

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stock on mine was /minus gasket.
I-73
T-119
E-105
BD-14

I do believe i was closer to .016 squish but sanded band to .018.

I took it to.....

I-76
T-123
E-102
BD-21
More grunt?... I want grunt cause grunt moves chips. If not I need max RPMs and that says otherwise on your build. Those are long bar numbers to me or quad ports. I use close to that on no machine work 361 short bar work saws.

Was thinking more like 78 117 103 for an 034 24" bar full comp but never did one. Put a 360 pro there. It ran great.
Question.
Why did you add blow down to that saw?

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More grunt?... I want grunt cause grunt moves chips. If not I need max RPMs and that says otherwise on your build. Those are long bar numbers to me or quad ports. I use close to that on no machine work 361 short bar work saws.

Was thinking more like 78 117 103 for an 034 24" bar full comp but never did one. Put a 360 pro there. It ran great.
Question.
Why did you add blow down to that saw?
Id say based just on what ive heard that it has more grunt yes. I had never ran one prior to building mine. It started life as parts in a box. It came with an 18” and thats all i planned to run on it. Mostly because i only have stihl bars for saws i “have”and thats it. As for how i got numbers.....lol! Well just based off prior experiences on other saws. I dont like to deter a ton from factory, tried reinventing the wheel one time and the saw went back in the
project pile:D i dont like too much intake, seems to make um boogy and not crisp. And exhaust i tend to go with what i can for torque numbers. U have to remember i dont have a lathe, so if i do one myself its a BGD and if im under .020 i can sand band to get my squish set. Im kinda limited unless i send one out to get cut. But then its not all “my” work. Pride probs:campeon: as for blowdown my theory is simple. Old saws had blowdown. New saws tend not to. Old saws had torque, new saws tend to be higher strung. Many wisemen have told me to KISS........... i dont know if all that makes sense. My notes on that one r not in detail:rolleyes: now im looking at my numbers and the stock numbers might of been with a gasket.
All i know is the 034 is for the most part looked down on stock and i am really happy with how it performs now that im done. For me it is a good strong 18” saw, if im in 24” territory the 670 is the only saw im grabbing.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This saw swallowed a few tanks of gas today running 325 seven pin full comp 18" 72dl LW Tsu. Chunking and bucking up to 16" chestnut and white oak.
It could do no wrong and lets you know when the fuel is getting low before it runs out. The ignition needs some advance. I already went through the starter because it was filthy and dry. All better now. It will pull a 24" 3/8 skip chain if asked to. Needs a better custom filter with oiled foam on it.

Great deal on decent saw. Going to tear it down next week to go through it.

ramrat

Circle T Outdoor Services
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope you enjoy it.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had a chance to clean it up more a few weeks ago and look over most of it down to the tank handle and long block. Clean piece.
This is a very nice saw under all the nasty crud and came right when needed. Works great for my single task.

I'd buy/trade for another if anyone has one or parts for one.