sticky switch on the 044

JIMG

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In winter everything is a little harder to do and hurts a little more, little things tend to be a bigger deal. I notice I tend to leave my 044 behind simply because the switch is so stiff on it. With gloves on I have to use the scrench to force the lever down. It finally aggravated me enough to take it apart and grind a little here and there, smear a little grease on things. Still no love. Any suggestions? Should I just get another assembly?

JIMG

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All oem. red lever. It's the only 44 Ive ever run. I was curious if this might be a common issue with perhaps a well known fix.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
1:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Reason I asked was I had an 046 with an aftermarket filter base that had that issue. Had to do some filing and grinding..

I'd get it apart, there should be some rub or witness marks where it's binding I'd think.

Could give it a coating of blue chalk line chalk, install it, work it back and forth a few times and see if that shows the problem spit.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like Ed mentioned, it could be the filter base interfering. The switch shaft uses an alloy "finger" in the switch box which rides on a fairly stiff spring in the PTO end of the switch shaft. Sometimes fine sawdust will build up in the switch box (or under the spring in the switch shaft) and makes it tough to operate the switch shaft. Try cleaning all that out real good.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would check over in that box on the right hand side

JIMG

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what it was. That contact spring visible in Ed's pic. (1128 442 1601) First I pushed it in to conform better to the plastic housing. That made it worse. bent it out at the bottom and bingo, smooth. Easy little fix.
That stiff switch had me pissed out in the woods.
Thanks for the inputs.

JIMG

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welp, since i had the saw up on the bench I decided to do a bit more after the switch fix.
Since the muffler was opened up some the idle likes to dip and die when the saw is tipped down. Case passed Pressure/vac test, zama is cleaned and rebuilt. New impulse installed, intake boot passed inspection, new fuel line, fuel filter.
I see there is a very prominent lip on the intake where fuel is probably puddling. I can grind this off but I am wondering if this is going to change the intake timing in a bad way.
IMG_20240203_114609084_HDR.jpg