Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never heard of a loco like that. Sheltered life and all.

Pretty neat machine.

As a railroad side bar, I hope whoever wrote this knows now that drugs are bad.

"The original Southern Pacific began in 1865 as a land holding company. The last incarnation of the Southern Pacific, the Southern Pacific Transportation Company, was founded in 1969 and assumed control of the Southern Pacific system. The Southern Pacific Transportation Company was acquired by the Union Pacific Corporation and merged with their Union Pacific Railroad. The Southern Pacific Transportation Company was the surviving railroad as it absorbed the Union Pacific Railroad and changed its name to "Union Pacific Railroad". The Southern Pacific Transportation Company is now the current incarnation of the Union Pacific Railroad."

Geared locomotives use direct gearing to the wheels instead of side rods to connect the pistons to the wheels. They also are all wheel drive. Even the tender wheels are powered. That way every pound of locomotive goes to tractive effort. They run on trucks just like a freight car and that makes them able to negotiate tight poorly laid track typical of logging and mines.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a picture from in our shop back in the days of steam. And it's the exact crane in my previous post that I was operating. Sorry for the sideways picture.

scan_7.jpg

Here's a video of the first time that the K4 was rebuilt. She came back into her birthplace in I think 1985 and was rebuilt by Conrail workers at the Juniata Locomotive Shop. She was finished up in 1987 and here's a video of her first "Shakedown run".

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guy's may or may not be to familiar with the PRR's Juniata Locomotive Shop here's a link that you can check out it's pretty cool.
http://www.altoonaworks.info/

This is a view looking down one end of the shop in A-bay.
381A0030.jpg

And this is looking down the other end.

We have 27 tracks entering out shop. Most of them end in this bay the other bay's are where components are rebuilt (engines, traction motor's, alternators and other things).

381A0025.jpg

It looks like you guys like videos so here's a couple that they made of our shop. I hope that you like them!

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
10:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a cold start on a Deltic train circa early 60’s this one
Ran 2 x 18 cylinder Napier 2-stroke engines awesome sound

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over here the UP844 is a legend always being compared speed wise with the
Mallard 4468 A4 Pacific and The flying Scotsman A3 pacific

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over here the UP844 is a legend always being compared speed wise with the
Mallard 4468 A4 Pacific and The flying Scotsman A3 pacific

I like how the locomotives you have over there are so ornate. Locomotives in the US where built for a job. And maybe thats why i like them the best. American locomotive are the average joe that does more than their fair share to keep the world going! And they look it too!

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a picture from in our shop back in the days of steam. And it's the exact crane in my previous post that I was operating. Sorry for the sideways picture.

View attachment 172513

Here's a video of the first time that the K4 was rebuilt. She came back into her birthplace in I think 1985 and was rebuilt by Conrail workers at the Juniata Locomotive Shop. She was finished up in 1987 and here's a video of her first "Shakedown run".

Where is that engine now Joe?

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like how the locomotives you have over there are so ornate. Locomotives in the US where built for a job. And maybe thats why i like them the best. American locomotive are the average joe that does more than their fair share to keep the world going! And they look it too!

Yeah back in the day it was only a small percentage that where shiny with there 4-6-2 setup and huge drive wheels
Most what where seen around where workhorses hauling out of the mines
Quarries
The freight was deemed dirty and the image was the high speed passenger trains
From the cities And media propaganda kept the freight out the spotlight
They all forgot the shunters and tanks fed the country

Our railways where limited with tight curves and twists and several 1 in 40
Gradients and our most successful freight steam trains where 2-10-0 with small Wheels 130 - 140 tons 70-80ft long there where a few giants made
For pushing duties on coal mines and quarries when needed

The other major factor that kept the engines smaller was the rail network was built many years before the steam revolution was in full swing with low tunnels and bridges meant no increase in chimney height and the kettle was restricted

there wasn’t any articulation between drive sets so longer engines weren’t possible with the tight curves

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn propaganda!

Thanks for the pics Andrew. Neat stuff back then.

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes luckily a few of them have been saved most where scrapped or exported too India

A steam club over here found some plans of a new locomotive that was never built from the 1950’s
And they raised the funds and Took to building it it was completed in 2009
And it got mainline certification as well called the Tornado

30B0E8E8-5817-4A36-9787-56706474464C.jpeg