Sloping Back Cuts - Why Not?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only use a bore cut on foward lean trees ,which is quite often considering that I cut alot in campgrounds.
It could be argued that NO tree is perfectly strait up and down, so using the bore cut can be used most of the time ?
I do constantly remind myself that gravity trumps most efforts to work against it, so I try to cut to work with it, or its rigging time.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I only use a bore cut on foward lean trees ,which is quite often considering that I cut alot in campgrounds.
It could be argued that NO tree is perfectly strait up and down, so using the bore cut can be used most of the time ?
I do constantly remind myself that gravity trumps most efforts to work against it, so I try to cut to work with it, or its rigging time.
I cut a bunch last year in the RV parks. The leaners past 20* get sawn almost straight down through the tree if they are solid not hollow. Hollow ones get notched and broken off. More like limbing to me than felling. I nip the bottom straight vertical trough the sap wood or not at all on small trees and come straight down through it from the top. If you slope the second cut they split every time up or down. It seems like that cut made at 45* to the wood grain allows the sap wood to tare free from the heart wood imo. Most of these bigger ones peel off part of the stump right to the ground. Keeping them from hanging up in other stuff without a face is the real trick there. 80cc plus with an 8 pin and a 20" bar makes it go real fast through the wood as it's coming down.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That safe corner method posted by mr woodpecker.. is my favourite.

it’s also known as the danish pie, it’s for forward or back leaners, as well as the straight up trees. It allows you to wedge it and and bang it in then under cut the corner that was holding.
It really helps when your unsure of the canopy and which side is weighted more.. thus the tree pinching the bar in a normal cut. And there’s not enough room for a wedge at the same time

it does take a bit longer to set it up but it helps so things don’t go wrong.