Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here we are with what should/could be Nixon's(John) last saw up for silent auction. How this will work is PM me your maximum biggest most bestest bid price possible and whomever has sent the largest one at the end will "win" the auction.
Winner will pay the full amount to John's wife Janell and the actual ship amount to me. Once I have payment confirmation, I will work with the winner to ship the saw to him/her.
What the saw is: a woods ported, Stihl 044 with slant finned cylinder, red master control lever and 10mm wrist pin in PHO.
I will keep the auction open as long as bids continue to come in and will give notice of at least a day before the auctions closure.
Pictures and about the build to follow.
Video of saw.

Named the saw Black Dog after the song I was listening to when I started porting the cylinder, that and the top color seemed like a natural fit.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The build...
John did have much of the parts needed to rebuild this saw, most of them OEM.
Here's what he supplied:
10mm Meteor Piston
Hyway muffler cover
Stihl OEM:
Gasket and seal set
wristpin bearing
Crank Bearings
oil pump pickup tube
brake band
wire harness
oil pump worm gear drive
intake manifold and clamp
Impulse hose
Green fuel line

used slant fin cylinder donated by @lehman live edge slab

Parts I threw in:

Stihl OEM:
Starter pulley
Pawl kit
elasto start handle kit
operator presence lever
NGK plug
Zama carb kit

Hyway AM:
front handle
heat shield
filter cover
fuel filter
7-pin sprocket
carb adjustment guide

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A used Walbro HD-16 carburetor was donated by @dall however the kit I installed must have had the wrong(there were two) inlet needle and is too short and flooded the saw.
I rebuilt the original Zama C3M and it runs beautifully, even though it didn't look so hot on the outside, which was why I wanted an alternative in the first place.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The reason for the cylinder being replaced was that I had cleaned the original up for John enough to where he was happy with it. Knowing that the saw was going to be in someone else hands however, I thought it would be best to have one in better condition. So, when opportunity knocked, I answered.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, that's about the most of it, so get digging in those couch cushions and come up with as much as you can scratch up to place your bid. I have a good feeling that a handsome amount will get donated to Janeen as this comes to its conclusion. Good luck to everyone!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome Steve! Looks like a great specimen of a ported 044. Well done!

Thanks! If not, it will sure do until a better one comes along! Once I got the carburetor situation panned out, it started right up and ran like a champ. My fastach wasn't reading properly though and I did not get a good speed reading, was hot out, so I just did a quick tune by ear before I rendered down any further than I had to. Lol Sounded and felt to me like it wanted to run up nicely, I'll see if I can't get a different tach and get some hard numbers for ya's later.

nixon

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here we are with what should/could be Nixon's(John) last saw up for silent auction. How this will work is PM me your maximum biggest most bestest bid price possible and whomever has sent the largest one at the end will "win" the auction.
Winner will pay the full amount to John's wife Janell and the actual ship amount to me. Once I have payment confirmation, I will work with the winner to ship the saw to him/her.
What the saw is: a woods ported, Stihl 044 with slant finned cylinder, red master control lever and 10mm wrist pin in PHO.
I will keep the auction open as long as bids continue to come in and will give notice of at least a day before the auctions closure.
Pictures and about the build to follow.
Video of saw.

Named the saw Black Dog after the song I was listening to when I started porting the cylinder, that and the top color seemed like a natural fit.
This is Awesome John wold have loved it, both the name and the song!!!!!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is Awesome John wold have loved it, both the name and the song!!!!!
I assume this is Janell, the post caught me off guard seeing John's screen name. For a second there I wasn't sure if I was being haunted or what the heck was going on. Lol
Glad to have your approval, and I hope this does well for you.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a good telephone conversation with Janelle yesterday, she was very happy with the goings on here and hoped that the saw might go to someone that knew John. I am hoping that it brings in the money that it should for her. I also have her PayPal information for the "winner" to pay her directly, and instructed her to notify me upon receiving payment, so I will be set to ship the saw to its new home.
SEND ME YOUR HIGH BIDS!!!

ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the newer members:

Steve is as solid as they come. In case you too are looking for a saw of this manner.

Steve's work is right up there with the best of them. Top notch quality.

Steve's packaging & shipping, outstanding!

Steve, the time and effort greatly appreciated!