Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Collins sold by Abercrombe and Fitch
Zenith sold by some now defunct hardware store in Duluth MN
Garnich & sons hardware, Ashland WI, now defunct
Cool axes. Zenith was probably sold at the Marshall Wells Hardware Co. I did a quick Google search on Zenith. There was a Zenith Mine North of Duluth way back when. So the name peaked my intrest.

jockeydeuce

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I'm a bit of an axe junkie too. :)

Definitely have a soft spot for the European axes...I find lots of Swedes around here.

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Got this Broad Axe hatchet at a swap meet. Made a new handle for it, I was just starting to get the edge back in this pic.
View attachment 10450
That's really nice. I've got a jersey pattern head my dad gave me that I want to hang, but I've been hesitant because I'm not sure how to get the V part right.
20160210_170900.jpg

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I did mine, I cut a small piece of cardboard and put it into the eye then traced the shape of the V.
I used that as a template on my handle to get it close. Then it was just sneaking up to it slow until it fit good and tight dry.
Thanks I'll try that. The other way I've seen it done was to sand the handle flat so you don't have to fit the V, if that makes sense. I like the way you did it better though.

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks I'll try that. The other way I've seen it done was to sand the handle flat so you don't have to fit the V, if that makes sense. I like the way you did it better though.
I like it that way also, I think it will give it better support with it like this.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's really nice. I've got a jersey pattern head my dad gave me that I want to hang, but I've been hesitant because I'm not sure how to get the V part right.
View attachment 10453
Ton of great axe restoration videos on youtube. I like the cardboard idea above. You could also lay the handle on the table, and hold the head over it and trace the V with a pencil on the handle. Work your way up to the line with a sharp chisel. Take your time. A handle is only 12-15 dollars. Not an expensive lesson. That's a beautiful head and I would get it handled. Even if it took you a couple handles to learn, the finished product would be worth it.