High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Shindaiwa 488 issue resolved

Dagger

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Bought this saw used off Craigslist. It's in good condition. No compression test, but when you pull the starter it's like it should be, to me anyway. I rebuilt the carb, (has hi and low adjustment), put on new fuel lines, fresh fuel at 32:1, etc. It would not crank, only backfire is what I would call it. Had spark though. So, I read in a thread somewhere, the old 488's needed a resistor-less plug to run. I go get one from NAPA, (NGK BPM7A), and it fired on the first pull and started on the 3rd. It's been running fine ever since. Hope this helps some others.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think some of the other Shindaiwa saws and trimmers need a non-resistor spark plug as well.

Dagger

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 2004 owners manual that I downloaded shows a resistor plug, (BPMR7A), for it back then. But the saw I have has a different badge than some other 488's I've seen. So I know of 2 different badges, (decals) for the 488.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had one of those way back. Nice saw.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought this saw used off Craigslist. It's in good condition. No compression test, but when you pull the starter it's like it should be, to me anyway. I rebuilt the carb, (has hi and low adjustment), put on new fuel lines, fresh fuel at 32:1, etc. It would not crank, only backfire is what I would call it. Had spark though. So, I read in a thread somewhere, the old 488's needed a resistor-less plug to run. I go get one from NAPA, (NGK BPM7A), and it fired on the first pull and started on the 3rd. It's been running fine ever since. Hope this helps some others.
That is very interesting. I have never heard of that.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk