Husqvarna CCC Ebay Store DHS Online Store

Seeking welder for 6000w generator

Discussion in 'Construction' started by SpaceBus, Jul 7, 2021.

1. SpaceBus

SpaceBus Super OPE Member

Local Time:
    12:27 AM
    I'm looking for a welder that can be powered by my B&S 6250 generator. The generator is a 110/220v generator with a 8500 watt peak and 6250 watt continuous output. The quick question is what's the max amperage of a welder could I power with the generator I have? I am specifically shopping for an inexpensive (think Harbor Freight) welder to practice and learn with.

Thanks.

2. Steve

Steve Excellence! GoldMember

I Support This Forum as a Gold Member!
    Local Time:
    11:27 PM
    Take a course at the local community college. Not only will you learn proper technique and machine settings, but also what type and construction of welder will fit best for your application. There is a lot more to welding than grabbing pieces of steel and sticking it together.

3. SpaceBus

SpaceBus Super OPE Member

Local Time:
    I learned how to weld while I was going to the community college I went to for automotive repair in NC. Tanks for the input. The issue is finding the appropriate welder for my generator, which wasn't covered. Some welders specify what the generator needs to be capable of. Briggs doesn't specify the THD for the generator making it hard to match a welder. Do you have any suggestions on how to clean up the output of the generator to work with an inverter welder? Elsewise I'm thinking a portable transformer welder would be the right option. Perhaps even a separate welder generator, but it and the transformer welder are expensive for a tool I might use once or twice a year.

4. Steve

Steve Excellence! GoldMember

Local Time:
    Why does it need to be used with a generator?

I don't know of any budget welders to work with your application. Welders are expensive for the hobbyist. Just the way it is. But when you need it you need it. You may just need to raise your budget to fit your needs.

Catbuster and Sagebrush33 like this.
  5. Sagebrush33

Sagebrush33 Pinnacle OPE Member GoldMember

Local Time:
    Miller trail blazer or bobcat. Has it's own power source. I forget which one is smaller of the two.
    Your brigs won't be up to keeping up with a decent welder.

Steve likes this.
  6. farminkarman

farminkarman Pinnacle OPE Member GoldMember

Local Time:
    Most inverter based welders can't handle more than 5% THD. As for "cleaning up" the output of the generator, that isn't really possible. You would just need to get a better generator. If you want to weld with the generator you have, then I would be looking at a transformer based machine as you said.

Catbuster likes this.