school me on generators

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
12:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well on that the 40 foot Newmar Country Star motor home my parents had ,RIP had an Onan diesel genny at 7.5 KVA .It was build like a battle ship .So was the rest of the unit for that matter .

Don’t think I’ve seen a diesel gen set on any camper unless the camper itself was run on diesel… also if you’re running a newmar 40’ you might as well buy in on 4 time shares while your at it. “Camping” on what amounts to a “palace on wheels” actually has a proper term now “Glamping”

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad bought and sold them like cattle .He actually made a little money at it .The Newmar was the last one. I drove it back from central Florida when the old man had a stroke .That 300 Cummins had some guts ,like 85 MPH climbing Jellico .Believe it or not that thing got about 11 miles per gallon . With I think 100 gallon tank it was one fuel stop heading north ,Valdosta Georgia .My brother has it now .

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad bought and sold them like cattle .He actually made a little money at it .The Newmar was the last one. I drove it back from central Florida when the old man had a stroke .That 300 Cummins had some guts ,like 85 MPH climbing Jellico .Believe it or not that thing got about 11 miles per gallon . With I think 100 gallon tank it was one fuel stop heading north ,Valdosta Georgia .My brother has it now .

I’d be one to buy a newmar if we were leaving house and property for a more nomadic lifestyle. Been seeing that more and more on the tv where people are registering and paying tax on those bigger units in the states where they are cheap and roaming around the country. It’s enticing… no taxes, no mortgage, move in minutes if you don’t like your neighbors, switch scenic views ever couple months to a year. I can see why there was lots of actual trailer homes in the 1950-1970’s… I suppose some of that was chasing a job and money too. lots of people living the “van life” now too. Retrofitted Mercedes vans being used as economical tiny homes. Increasingly I think Americans are finding that long term wealth and stability doesn’t have to be built by buying a home like the banking institutions would like us to believe. I think it was like 8.5% long term annualized return and $1000/mo and your at $1,000,000 in like 14-16 years. Live cheap and retire early to live off investments seems to be the new mantra.