davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I want to get (2) 2000 watt gennys that can be linked to run A/C in RV trailer. Thinking Honda, but looking for other suggestions. Main goal is quiet and quality. Got my mom a 3k and it won't run her AC...maybe my AC is smaller and it will run it and get her the 2ks...

Thanks

including this link, first thing google brought up *shrug*

https://www.averagepersongardening.com/best-2000-watt-inverter-generators/

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All depends. You need to look at the specs on your RV AC unit and look for either amps or watts. This will be a running number. Most AC units will draw about 1/3 more than rated when starting. If you have a 4kw (4000 watt) AC unit 2 2000 watt inverter generators will struggle to run it and will probably not start it. Also, do you plan to run lights, microwave or other things too? 4kw will run a smaller RV AC unit but. It the bigger ones. I have a 4kw onan genset in my RV and when i had to replace the AC i had to get one the same size as the old one. BTU size is another indicator of how much power the unit needs.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think one upside to the Honda is they are 2200, 200 more than the rest

I will look at wattage requirements for units

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
10:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have run and like the Honda's, but I like the Yamaha EU2000i, or the new EF2000iSv2 more. The Yamaha's can be a bit tougher to find, but well worth the hunt.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This matters if you're going to try feeding a single load with both generators feeding together.

IF you only need to supply separated, multiple (never mixed together) circuits then the gens don't have to be in sync.

With two gen-sets, tied together, you'll have to have a way to synchronize the output (wave forms).
I would think that the inverter types could be equipped with an extra circuit to do that.
But at what cost? But I'm out of the loop on this stuff now, So for all I know there may be someone who already sells the controls for it.
Simple in theory but the designer needs to know what they're doing.
Is the controller built to be durable, accurate and stable ?

As for the old style generators, you'd have to mechanically couple the shafts and time the rotor phases together, then synchronize the engine speeds to avoid one dragging the other.
Wouldn't be much fun to do all that and then try to fit them into the camper somewhere.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Id think to sync the generators you'd either have to couple the driveshafts and align the shafts to the same timing, hard to do without seeing how the magnets are positioned. Or convert to DC, then back to AC.

In short, use one big generator.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The new inverter generators can be paralleled together with a simple accessory cable. Disadvantage is two 2200 watt generators only gives you about 3700 watts

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The new inverter generators can be paralleled together with a simple accessory cable. Disadvantage is two 2200 watt generators only gives you about 3700 watts
That's good to know. I would have expected double.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's good to know. I would have expected double.
Well , it is double but the MAX output for the EU2200i is 2200 watts but the continuous running watts is 1800. So 2 paralleled together will provide 4400 watts for a short time but continuous running watts is 3600. Almost all generators list the max watts for selli g purposes. Always best to check the running watts. Some generators are better than others at voltage sag when a heavy load is applied. My 4000 watt Onan RV generator sags very little when a large load is applied. My 4500 watt portabe generator sags to below 85 volts and takes a few seconds to recover when the same load is applied.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ended up with my mom's honda 3000. Revs up hard and then stalls occasionally when hooked to Rv trailer on ECO. Gonna try some VP engine fix in a can...

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a Generac standby for the house - not impressed with the quality. I suggest you look elsewhere. Also, Generac customer service was awful. Within one year, two major parts failed. Even though the unit was under warranty, it took Generac months to send both. In all fairness, these failures occurred 5 to 6 years ago, and Generac customer service may have improved during that period. Nonetheless, I won't purchase another Generac product. Gave me a real bad tasted in my mouth.

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As for the old style generators, you'd have to mechanically couple the shafts and time the rotor phases together, then synchronize the engine speeds to avoid one dragging the other.
Wouldn't be much fun to do all that and then try to fit them into the camper somewhere.

Id think to sync the generators you'd either have to couple the driveshafts and align the shafts to the same timing, hard to do without seeing how the magnets are positioned.

Non inverter type alternators are easy to synchronise, as long as the units to be be “paralleled” are of identical performance.

Older installations still have manual backup synchronisation that consists simply of lamps situated between the incoming generator (alternator) phases and main bus to indicate if the incoming generator is in phase with the main supply/bus or not.

Basically depending on the arrangement you could tell if the AC waveforms of the incoming and system voltage per phase were matched, and as such synchronised, usually the incoming generators is at a slightly higher rpm so it will take load when connected, so the sync lamps will be slowly fading in and out as you pass through being synchronised and out of sinc.

When generators are connected in parallel the spinning rotors of the alternators are effectively magnetically coupled to each other, no more steps need be taken to keep each unit in phase.

Though the engine Governors and voltage regulators have to be matched/adjusted to ensure equal sharing of power (kw) and current (kvar).

A modern style of manual synchroniser has a ring of leds to indicate the difference in phase angle between incoming generators and the main bus, only one led lights up at a time for a spinning effect, showing the difference in rpm and phase angle, you adjust rpm to have a slow clockwise rotation and connect when the top led indicates synchronisation.

0E0E059C-BD7D-40D3-9271-1E7FD471409A.jpeg

I’m not really recommending it be done, but matching domestic non inverter generators can be diy paralleled without much trouble, the most likely problem would be if the voltage regulators didn’t have the same characteristics, this would lead to one of the alternators taking more that it’s share of current, even if the driving engines have their loads equally matched (by the governors), would be best to use a cheap eBay power meter to monitor each alternators output.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Honda 2200i comes in two variants, a “regular” unit and a “companion” model. You will need one of each to tie them together (along with the cable). As others have noted, 2200 is peak wattage and it runs at a lesser number.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Id think to sync the generators you'd either have to couple the driveshafts and align the shafts to the same timing, hard to do without seeing how the magnets are positioned. Or convert to DC, then back to AC.

In short, use one big generator.
You certainly come up with some interesting ideas.....

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember a thread where a guy was chasing surging and put a stronger spring on to dampen the governor solenoid from opening the throttle too fast but now I can’t find it.

Engine fix in a can didn’t work. Carb maybe just needs cleaned but it’s basically brand new too…it stalls idling in ECO not connected to anything. Tried a little choke, same. Runs with ECO off but surges a little.

MinnWeekendCutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What year is the RV? More specifically what year is the AC you are trying to run? The older ones are have a large amp draw on start up compared to a similar size new unit. If it’s an older unit you could check into a soft start ad on for it, Micro Air makes such a device.

Is the generator a Honda EU3000IS?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now it stalls eco or not A/C load or not. I guess the first thing is the carb…