Roof leak problem

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok im kinda stumped on a leak that just seemed.to develop last night.
So i got up at 2:30 last night to go to tje washroom and in front the door is a small puddle. Look uo and see water droplet formed on the register vent on the ceiling.
These vents are not hooked up to a furnace. I used to have a garage with wood stove and blew the heat into the house threw these vents. Ther is two vents about 6 feet apart with the pipe still atached. The long peace that used to come from garage is gone so the one end of T is open. Ther was water in the vent pipe. Thought that was strange but maybe it sweat from the cold outside and heat from woodstove going up? I did notice it looked damp on the roof sheeting on the inside of attic. No insulation seemed wet or damp.

So last night we got maybe quarter inch of snow. Just a dusting. Was no snow on roof befor that so no ice daming.

Went on roof to have a look. All looks fine. No damaged shingles or anything out the ordinary. My shingle are little over year old so should be rooled out.
We have had tons of rain this year with no leaks.

Im stumped and figure its got to be from the heat going into attic. The vents were unhooked about 10 years ago and no isue noticed till now.

If anyone has an idea as to what is goin on please let me know. I went back into attick and covered the vents in the attic with some insulation and took the ducts off.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh temp out side last night was minus 5C.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats what i kinda figured. Was just a little concerned and glad to hear your imput.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the same problem a six years back ago, was heating the house with the wood heater and a few ceiling vents would sweat and drip. Wife thought the roof was leaking. Let the heater burn down one evening and fired up the heat pump and ran it for a week, vents stop sweating. Funny thing is all my duct pipes and vent boot are fully wrapped. Hasn't done it since then.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk