High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

HELP! Replacement jug & parts for newer ms271?

JJ-Driller

OPE Member
Local time
3:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Son accidentally dropped a tree on his new ms271. Looking for a jug & piston kit, as well as a handle and top cover. So far, all I'm finding parts wise, is about a much as a used saw. Thinking I can even go with the newer ms291 cylinder & piston, but having no luck with that either. It's like China forgot to repro this model for some reason... Any help locating replacement parts without having to get a whole new saw for him is greatly appreciated. 20240219_123842.jpg20240219_123830.jpg

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Son accidentally dropped a tree on his new ms271. Looking for a jug & piston kit, as well as a handle and top cover. So far, all I'm finding parts wise, is about a much as a used saw. Thinking I can even go with the newer ms291 cylinder & piston, but having no luck with that either. It's like China forgot to repro this model for some reason... Any help locating replacement parts without having to get a whole new saw for him is greatly appreciated. View attachment 409272View attachment 409273
What's wrong with the cylinder?

JJ-Driller

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems to have compression still, but unsure of how deep the cracks are, and don't know if they'll open up under the heat of the saw running20240225_103206.jpg

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Son accidentally dropped a tree on his new ms271. Looking for a jug & piston kit, as well as a handle and top cover. So far, all I'm finding parts wise, is about a much as a used saw. Thinking I can even go with the newer ms291 cylinder & piston, but having no luck with that either. It's like China forgot to repro this model for some reason... Any help locating replacement parts without having to get a whole new saw for him is greatly appreciated. View attachment 409272View attachment 409273
Call around to saw shops for a blown donor saw for external parts. Hyway has the p&c kit
Seems ebay had a few parts.
Strip it down, clean and inspect every part for damage, especially the case.

JJ-Driller

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hyway is out of stock on the 271 p&c kits, and don't see the 291's listed. (That was my first place to look for parts, lol). As far as ebay, just about every one I "think" is gonna be a good parts donor for me, has got a pretty good scored piston/cylinder, which just about leaves me in the same boat except for external parts.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oem stihl prices are insane for cylinders and pistons. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately you might be in a sell it as a parts saw, use that $ and the money that would have been spent to fix it and find a good used ms261 sorta situation.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've gotten calls to fix 271 and 291s or the past couple of year's
And i couldn't even find oem parts for them
They are too new to the market for aftermarket parts.

Dicky

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too new? My best friend has a 271 that’s over 10 years old.

JJ-Driller

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too new? My best friend has a 271 that’s over 10 years old.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the carb intake mount changed. Please correct if I'm wrong, I haven't taken my sons apart yet, but I think it went from a bolt on intake to a rubber sleeve clamp on.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the carb intake mount changed. Please correct if I'm wrong, I haven't taken my sons apart yet, but I think it went from a bolt on intake to a rubber sleeve clamp on.
The whole cylinder changed, that saw will probably run with the cylinder like that but I have at least 2 271’s that burned up but probably are salvageable cylinder wise I’ll look .

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The whole cylinder changed, that saw will probably run with the cylinder like that but I have at least 2 271’s that burned up but probably are salvageable cylinder wise I’ll look .

Attachments

• IMG_8547.png
    IMG_8547.png
    766.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8546.png
    IMG_8546.png
    614.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8545.png
    IMG_8545.png
    608 KB · Views: 3

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local shop has one in their boneyard but they can’t release it yet :(

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is scored but will probably clean up, otherwise I’m sure the cylinder on yours will still run ok and you have the rest of the parts on this one. Your not missing that many cooling fins

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is scored but will probably clean up, otherwise I’m sure the cylinder on yours will still run ok and you have the rest of the parts on this one. Your not missing that many cooling fins
It's the cracks straight down towards the combustion chamber that would worry me.

JJ-Driller

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's the cracks straight down towards the combustion chamber that would worry me.
I'm afraid those cracks, even tho they're not all the way thru (yet) would finish opening up once the motor got hot from running.

Last edited:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Utah, I'm afraid those cracks, even tho they're not all the way thru (yet) would finish opening up once the motor got hot from running.
I personally don’t think it would open up to the chamber, I think it cracked along the top horizontal cooling fin and that’s it. Person could put some soap water on top and pull it over if there’s no bubbles it won’t open into cylinder from just running it odds are.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's like China forgot to repro this model for some reason...
The 271 and 291 are homeowner saws, I guess not worth China's time to make cylinders for. My buddy had a scorred 291 he got for a project saw. We tried for six months to get a used cylinder. I finally honed out his old cylinder and buffed it with scotchbrite, there were still score marks and worn areas, but I threw a new piston and ring on, gave it a try and was surprised it ran and has been running for a while now. If you are dead set on rebuilding yours, you might see if you can find a scorred cylinder you can get for cheap and try to buff it out and see about getting it to work. I even went as far as to order and $11 Farmertech 290 cylinder...but the bolt pattern didn't match up.

It might be more cost effective to buy a new saw and part out the old one and sell the good parts on e-bay. I just bought the lever control for my 271, so there is a market for those parts. Just had another thought, if you have a dump nearby where you can look for thrown out saws, you might find one there over time, I have found several saws at my dump to include a Stihl 046, Husky 272 and 2100CD. They need some work, but for the most part the expensive pieces of them are in good shape.

If your son decides to get a new saw, look at the MS 261 (either Mtronic or carb version), it has a 1/2 horsepower over the 271 and a plethora of aftermarket parts. The Mtanlo piston and cylinder kit for mine ran about $50 from Amazon and has been working great. Plus you can use the bar and chain from your 271 (you might be able to talk your dealer to selling you the power head only, saving some money - where I worked, we used to do that for people who already had bars and chains for their saw) on it or convert it to run 3/8 chain.

JJ-Driller

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 271 and 291 are homeowner saws, I guess not worth China's time to make cylinders for. My buddy had a scorred 291 he got for a project saw. We tried for six months to get a used cylinder. I finally honed out his old cylinder and buffed it with scotchbrite, there were still score marks and worn areas, but I threw a new piston and ring on, gave it a try and was surprised it ran and has been running for a while now. If you are dead set on rebuilding yours, you might see if you can find a scorred cylinder you can get for cheap and try to buff it out and see about getting it to work. I even went as far as to order and $11 Farmertech 290 cylinder...but the bolt pattern didn't match up.

It might be more cost effective to buy a new saw and part out the old one and sell the good parts on e-bay. I just bought the lever control for my 271, so there is a market for those parts. Just had another thought, if you have a dump nearby where you can look for thrown out saws, you might find one there over time, I have found several saws at my dump to include a Stihl 046, Husky 272 and 2100CD. They need some work, but for the most part the expensive pieces of them are in good shape.

If your son decides to get a new saw, look at the MS 261 (either Mtronic or carb version), it has a 1/2 horsepower over the 271 and a plethora of aftermarket parts. The Mtanlo piston and cylinder kit for mine ran about $50 from Amazon and has been working great. Plus you can use the bar and chain from your 271 (you might be able to talk your dealer to selling you the power head only, saving some money - where I worked, we used to do that for people who already had bars and chains for their saw) on it or convert it to run 3/8 chain.
Much appreciated input. I think I found a Hyway p&c on ebay for about 140, now I just gotta get the other broken parts (ie. cover, handle, and if any other s small parts that are found upon cylinder surgery) at a wallet friendly price, but as of at the moment, a handle and cover are the next 2 items to try to dig up without emptying a wallet. Ppl on ebay must have their stuff lined with gold & platinum! Thinking about slapping a fiberglass patch on his cover for him (won't be the first time I've dunnit, done 3 for myself before! 1 cause I dropped my saw when I fell tripping over a ditch!)

JJ-Driller

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would you be willing to part with'em? Spare parts for a 16 yr old just starting out in a logging family would always be helpful, needed, and appreciated! Don't feel he's ready for a $1000 pro saw yet...