StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to order a saw "repair" kit for the exact same reason 99% of people do,for the experience. Expect for the knock off ms 880 or 070. what do you guys know (from experience or have been told by someone you know) is the best model? or is the quality about the same across all kits? I might cut with it after assembly

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to order a saw "repair" kit for the exact same reason 99% of people do,for the experience. Expect for the knock off ms 880 or 070. what do you guys know (from experience or have been told by someone you know) is the best model? or is the quality about the same across all kits? I might cut with it after assembly
I've built the 660 and 365/372 farmertec kits. Lots of issues with the early 660 kits, the 372 kit was much better. It runs very good. The 660 runs good too but takes about 10 hard and fast pulls to get it running. The 372 starts as good as an oem Husqvarna.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the quality of farmertec stuff has improved, but quality is still hit & miss. Sometimes a kit will go together & run great...sometimes they don't. The 372 kit I put together about 9mo ago turned out well, but the tank vent setup they used was trash....needed to be replaced with oem. If I were going to get one, I would probably do the 660.

Last edited:

dirter

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 888 is a much more modern saw. Unless you're just after the nostalgia I wouldn't get the 070. It's heavy, has no AV and no chain brake. The 888 has a much better air filter, bigger engine which is more powerful and revs higher. It is more money though. But for good reason.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a whole forum at the top of the "chainsaw" section devoted to these kit builds, plus many other random posts. Spend some time doing a search and reading about the saw you have in mind. I built an MS361 clone for the heck of it. It can be frustrating at times, figuring out the quality control issues and overcoming them. Learn from what others have already done.
The larger saws seem to have fewer problems, more people have BTDT and the Chinese have corrected some of those early problems.
Was it a cost effective way to get a saw? Not really.
Did I learn a lot about saws and this model in particular ? Yes.
Was it fun? YES.

Fleethirte

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i like both the 372 and 660 kits.
watch some youtube videos and search on here as to what parts should be oem.

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 888 is a much more modern saw. Unless you're just after the nostalgia I wouldn't get the 070. It's heavy, has no AV and no chain brake. The 888 has a much better air filter, bigger engine which is more powerful and revs higher. It is more money though. But for good reason.
Don't get me wrong the 888 is very tempting. Every vehicle I've owned I've done port work to the the cylinder heads cold air intake added usually flow master exhaust there was 1 that was a combination of magnaflow and flow master but 122cc is kinda a massive firewood saw🤣 . Plus I'm kinda hoping that neo tec does a saw kit of the 3120.

Kinda same subject.. dude that did the fire breathing 660..... Do a 888!!!!!! *s-word id almost be willing to pay for the 888 just to send it to him 🤣

bretts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always thought about buying a 372 kit but heard horror stories about the cranks, oil pumps etc and how they needed to be replaced with oem (which adds more $$), has the quality on those improved any?...

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does that include shipping?
No, that price is just for the saw...$62 for 30-45 days (from China to US) or expedited 7-15 days for $86. Now the price isn't looking so hot.

I did order parts before from Farmertec before and they worked out really well, much lighter parts and shipping wasn't bad. I think they arrived in about 2 weeks.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, that price is just for the saw...$62 for 30-45 days (from China to US) or expedited 7-15 days for $86. Now the price isn't looking so hot.

I did order parts before from Farmertec before and they worked out really well, much lighter parts and shipping wasn't bad. I think they arrived in about 2 weeks.
Yeah, the shipping on some of those saws kills the deal.

Fleethirte

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
oil pump on my 372 kit works great!
i think people putting kits together don’t center the crank and don’t pressure test causing premature crank bearing failure