Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One example...

Good way to make it really loud. Much easier to cut a 2” diameter piece off the front part of the bottom, do your work, then weld it back. Best to leave some baffle so you get good flow and some direction change in the exhaust flow for noise cancellation.

Tomos770

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best to leave some baffle so you get good flow and some direction change in the exhaust flow for noise cancellation.
Both mk1 & mk2 has "pear" shaped mufflers.....so I would think that that baffle inside is there just to rob off chainsaw of some Hp....and to kill its bearings due to too much heat...

Tomos770

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just open up factory opening some , and braze a pipe in it ,

If you look up my first YT video....when he splits muffler for the first time....

You can see that you did nothing special with that additional opening....since inner baffle is too restrictive...

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look up my first YT video....when he splits muffler for the first time....

You can see that you did nothing special with that additional opening....since inner baffle is too restrictive...
I dremel tool was used before , pipe was brazed , I do believe it did something, rather than nothing, have you done it ?

Tomos770

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dremel tool was used before , pipe was brazed , I do believe it did something, rather than nothing, have you done it ?
No....not yet! 550 mk2 is still under warranty....

Will be de-gutted after...

Looking for the best solution in meantime...

Last edited:

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No....not yet! 550 mk2 is still under warranty....

Will be de-gutted after...

Looking for the best solution in meantime...
That pipe I put in is in the exhaust chamber below the small baffling, as you can see with torx screwdriver sticking threw the pipe, so the exhaust is totally blowing out the extra port pipe I put in , and has no restriction from baffle, seems like waste to cut open your muffler for no reason because there’s no restriction going on , IMG_1935.jpeg

Tomos770

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could it be that 550 muffler is of different inner design as 562 muffler....

If it has inner baffle/pipe like on my 562xp muffler video....then it is worth to open it and grind away that pipe....

I like an idea of pear shaped muffler in 2stroke engine...because they reasemble on 2stroke racing pipes...

And it will not have a proper flow of gases if that inner pipe remains inside...

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could it be that 550 muffler is of different inner design as 562 muffler....

If it has inner baffle/pipe like on my 562xp muffler video....then it is worth to open it and grind away that pipe....

I like an idea of pear shaped muffler in 2stroke engine...because they reasemble on 2stroke racing pipes...

And it will not have a proper flow of gases if that inner pipe remains inside...
I don’t know about the 562 , but there’s no issues with the 550 being restricted were the pipe is to cut it open like a sardine can, that would be a waste of good muffler.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You don’t want a straight shot out the exhaust port and through the muffler exit. It’s best to have some baffling in there.

Husky just made the baffling very restrictive on the 562. IIRC, I cut into the side of the long baffle and folded it up so that the exhaust had to twist around it. The acoustic waves collide and cancel each other out to more of a degree that way.

The 562 muffler is notorious for being ear bleeding loud if it’s modded the way it was above.