Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I did I started with a 16 penny galvanized nail lol
I also attended lots of knap inns Glass Butte Oregon has a nice knap in Emory Coons does amazing work. Also I have watched Jim Hopper work he is a really good flint knapper
Awesome bud, we have some knap inns here in Tennessee, but I've only gotten to attend a few over the years. Nice work!!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know a guy who witnessed the crash, and he did not take it well... he refused to fly after that and eventually lost his job with the Forest Service. Not sure if he quit, or what exactly happened.

I actually lived in a house near the USFS fire station in Big Bar growing up, and my grandparents lived across the river.

Yeah that’s a bummer. My buddy wouldn’t fly again either. We were Medics up there, it was his last day. The remaining half of the crew had to hike down, we met them all at the Junction City FD for a crisis debriefing.

I worked part of the fire up Corral Hollow up at the Octopus road junction at the top. Guy at a property just across the bridge and to the left , fired a few high shots across the bow on our way up in the mornings
Fun times :{{

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
584c5cb28f3df351823354f2f0f638d3.jpg

One of my shuttle rides that year

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A guy I had on the crew at the park the following season was on the sister squad to the one in the helicopter that went down and also watched the crash. He too refused to fly after that and eventually left fire.

I was on another part of the fire as a helicopter manager running two light ships for North Ops. My branch director and the field ops chief had just taken off on a recon flight when we got word the ship went down.

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A guy I had on the crew at the park the following season was on the sister squad to the one in the helicopter that went down and also watched the crash. He too refused to fly after that and eventually left fire.

I was on another part of the fire as a helicopter manager running two light ships for North Ops. My branch director and the field ops chief had just taken off on a recon flight when we got word the ship went down.

ba396e7069d712c8466480af36def205.jpg

Became an impromptu Dip Site mngr @ Happy Camp for 3 Heavy’s flying a slop over and spot along the hwy

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah that’s a bummer. My buddy wouldn’t fly again either. We were Medics up there, it was his last day. The remaining half of the crew had to hike down, we met them all at the Junction City FD for a crisis debriefing.

I worked part of the fire up Corral Hollow up at the Octopus road junction at the top. Guy at a property just across the bridge and to the left , fired a few high shots across the bow on our way up in the mornings
Fun times :{{

Yeah the crash traumatized a lot of people - several of the guys who were onsite never worked in fire again. Some have moved on, a few have stayed in fire, it was just a very bad situation for many people. The outcome of the criminal trial only deepened those wounds also.

ba396e7069d712c8466480af36def205.jpg

Became an impromptu Dip Site mngr @ Happy Camp for 3 Heavy’s flying a slop over and spot along the hwy

Dipsite duty isn't so bad - here's the sister ship not far from where you were at on the Canyon Complex, also that same season: