Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quite a few more times I'm sure. Still get a whiff of oil smell from time to time. Replaced pvc as well. Need to take a gander under it one of these days.

Check the VPS solenoid valves on the front bank above the alternator. They leak real bad and the untrained eye will think it's the valve cover leaking. Takes less than two minutes to replace so that's a plus!

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the VPS solenoid valves on the front bank above the alternator. They leak real bad and the untrained eye will think it's the valve cover leaking. Takes less than two minutes to replace so that's a plus!
I'll check it as soon as I get a chance. Got to do some work on nephews Ford Sport Trac. Showing P0732 code and transmission is acting up at times. Going to adjust the bands and see if it a servo problem. 5R55s looks to have problems with case wear and if that is the problem we might try the o-ringed ones.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That rear wiring harness can kiss my azz!

Yes, and that belt tensioner of Herculean strength! It was incredibly stiff even with a 24" breaker bar. The front VTEC spool valve is leaking where it joins to the head, pretty common problem on these. Of course, Honda will only sell you the gaskets with the valve assembly, arseholes. What's funny is there are a ton of aftermarket ones, all with very convincing fake Honda packaging and real sounding part numbers. I hate rewarding counterfeiters but Honda's decision to hold the gaskets hostage until you buy the whole valve caused me to order some. I looked for the counterfeit that had the most positive reviews and ordered it from Amazon. As an aside, it is amazing how much counterfeit merchandise is on Fleabay and Amazon. I guess as long as the seller fees keep rolling in they don't care.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll raise you two heads and three chains!

View attachment 361776 View attachment 361777

Wow. So I guess you just lower the vehicle down onto the whole assembly? We always took the transaxle out from the driver's side and then dropped the engine with a transmission jack. I despise transverse V6's, four bangers all the way for me!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. So I guess you just lower the vehicle down onto the whole assembly? We always took the transaxle out from the driver's side and then dropped the engine with a transmission jack. I despise transverse V6's, four bangers all the way for me!

Yes, sounds like you guys did it the hard way!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sideways v6's can kiss mine

Agree wholeheartedly, I hate those damn things. Gimme a big displacement four banger any day. Only one that isn't terrible to work on in one way or another was the little Ford 3.0 Vulcan engine in a Taurus. I remember hearing about those VW VR6 engines being a frenching nightmare, glad I never got to experience one.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then it's an agreement. You guys can have every 4 cylinder Ford Ecoboost and I'll take every transverse v6. :D

You heard anything about the 2.3 Ecoboom in the Mustang? I'm thinking about it for my next car. The old SOHC 2.3 was one of the best engines FoMoCo ever made, I love those things. My Ranger has the later 2.5 version.