Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. It is a marine use one.

It takes more energy than a half inch gap to fire an iridium plug under compression. That seem to be set up for a distributor type ignition system. Or about a 12-15 kV tester. Ill show you what I use tomorrow when I get to work

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It takes more energy than a half inch gap to fire an iridium plug under compression. That seem to be set up for a distributor type ignition system. Or about a 12-15 kV tester. Ill show you what I use tomorrow when I get to work
IMG_20210808_214204.jpg
I just cross referenced the service manual. Got some more reading to do, but I am lake bound tomorrow in the Lund. I am beginning to wonder if the alternator is putting out something funky at higher rpms maybe. I have a prop with some chunks taken out that I am thinking about cutting down for a test prop so I can run the motor in the pond and get the rpms up without taking off trailer. Idler pully will hopefully show up tomorrow so I can do some tinkering in the PM. Optimax engines are voltage picky and slightly discharged battery can make them go nuts at times. Wondering if I can unhook the alternator and run off battery alone to isolate it.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
11:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My weekend

My son helping my at the shop this summer. Moving a large forklift carriage into the shop to be straightened with a borrowed Lull telehandler...I want one!
8C901BF2-EB0E-4D31-BA02-D28BC4ECD35B.jpeg

I was gonna stay home and relax and work on saws but went to recover this young couple on my favorite mountain instead.
152CD009-DE94-4B1B-A5EE-F0E3DC2F07A6.jpeg
Burning a field...so much for emissions in CA. Near the salton sea. It's common in this area.
9E45F3B2-9DD9-446A-BE43-2D19E8497B0D.jpeg
5102A0BE-9E41-47C6-A8E7-DD331F2A8A8E.jpeg
Pinyon fire from a while back, right below Santa Rosa where I go...had me scared. Wouldn't be anywhere else to escape the summer heat if it burned.
DBA2C565-5C2B-4FF1-9DBE-12F26FDE4807.jpeg

Last edited:

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 304899
I just cross referenced the service manual. Got some more reading to do, but I am lake bound tomorrow in the Lund. I am beginning to wonder if the alternator is putting out something funky at higher rpms maybe. I have a prop with some chunks taken out that I am thinking about cutting down for a test prop so I can run the motor in the pond and get the rpms up without taking off trailer. Idler pully will hopefully show up tomorrow so I can do some tinkering in the PM. Optimax engines are voltage picky and slightly discharged battery can make them go nuts at times. Wondering if I can unhook the alternator and run off battery alone to isolate it.
I am unfamiliar with these, but most alternator systems are connected to a battery already, so a voltage peek would be the only concern, as long as the batteries are fully changed. Most systems don’t mind some extra voltage, until it’s enough to fry something. Have you done a running voltage test? If the alternator isn’t charging, but your batteries are fully charged it should run fine until the voltage in the batteries drop

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am unfamiliar with these, but most alternator systems are connected to a battery already, so a voltage peek would be the only concern, as long as the batteries are fully changed. Most systems don’t mind some extra voltage, until it’s enough to fry something. Have you done a running voltage test? If the alternator isn’t charging, but your batteries are fully charged it should run fine until the voltage in the batteries drop

Parameter Description Value Unit
Engine Speed........................................ 660 RPM
Engine Load....................................... 14.21 %
Throttle Percent................................... 0.00 %
Available Power..................................... 100 %
TPS 1 Voltage...................................... 0.57 VDC
Demand............................................. 0.00 %
TPS 2 Voltage...................................... 0.00 VDC
Power Limit Setpoint................................ 100 %
Manifold Absolute Pressure........................ 12.91 PSI
Starboard Coolant Temp........................... 138.20 °F
Baro Pressure..................................... 14.09 PSI
Port Coolant Temp................................. 32.00 °F
Block Pressure..................................... 4.39 PSI
Charge Temperature................................ 93.20 °F
Battery Voltage................................... 13.95 VDC

System is charging fine according to computer, but I don't know about output at higher rpms. I have been reluctant to take laptop out on lake, but it looks like I need to do that or cut down that other prop to get the rpms t0 4000+. Hour drive minimum one way to get to lake so I don't get to check what I have worked on with it very easy.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Parameter Description Value Unit
Engine Speed........................................ 660 RPM
Engine Load....................................... 14.21 %
Throttle Percent................................... 0.00 %
Available Power..................................... 100 %
TPS 1 Voltage...................................... 0.57 VDC
Demand............................................. 0.00 %
TPS 2 Voltage...................................... 0.00 VDC
Power Limit Setpoint................................ 100 %
Manifold Absolute Pressure........................ 12.91 PSI
Starboard Coolant Temp........................... 138.20 °F
Baro Pressure..................................... 14.09 PSI
Port Coolant Temp................................. 32.00 °F
Block Pressure..................................... 4.39 PSI
Charge Temperature................................ 93.20 °F
Battery Voltage................................... 13.95 VDC

System is charging fine according to computer, but I don't know about output at higher rpms. I have been reluctant to take laptop out on lake, but it looks like I need to do that or cut down that other prop to get the rpms t0 4000+. Hour drive minimum one way to get to lake so I don't get to check what I have worked on with it very easy.

Put your voltmeter on the battery looking at AC voltage. Should be well below 100 mV AC.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 304899

Here is an adjustable tester I use. Numbers are approx. kV. You want it I'll send it your way. I got like four of these things!

16285169111766311692472778039311.jpg 1628516930829807840963374865359.jpg

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put your voltmeter on the battery looking at AC voltage. Should be well below 100 mV AC.
No constant AC voltage with fully charged battery when doing a ripple test. I'll do some reading on my meter to make sure DC is isolated. Diodes shot maybe? 90hp optimax being parted out down the road a little ways from me. May need a road trip.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No constant AC voltage with fully charged battery when doing a ripple test. I'll do some reading on my meter to make sure DC is isolated. Diodes shot maybe? 90hp optimax being parted out down the road a little ways from me. May need a road trip.

If you have no excessive AC ripple then the diodes are ok.