High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Poulan PP5020 chainsaw – starts – will not rev – pops and stops

straightshooter412

New OPE Member
Local time
10:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Listed below is my situation with the saw.

I purchased this saw about 8 years ago used only around the farm. Last time it was used it worked fine. Went to cut firewood and no start. Found there was no fire at the plug. I have researched the web and forums trying to find out the problem with no success. All speak of checking spark, fuel and compression. This is what I have completed thus far.

1. Ignition originally not firing – ordered new coil, installed – firing good – new plug. Checked the muffler and spark arrester, they are good to go.

2. Fuel – New carb installed, info on carb listed below. When started, I noted there was fuel coming out of the choke on the carb. Would not rev and had a popping sound. Finally popped back thru the carb and died. Tried to adjust air mixture screws when running with no success. Read where the needle valve may be binding allowing either lean or rich fuel to piston. Removed carb, checked needle valve and increased the tension on the spring slightly. Had no effect. Carb type is listed below.

3. Timing – Read where the popping may be a result of the timing off. Possibly caused by the flywheel key being broken. Removed flywheel, no damage noted. Cleaned magnetic area on flywheel and coil area.

I do not have a compression gauge, but the saw has a lot of compression when attempting to start. I now know why they call them a “Pull-on” until your arm falls off. There is no one in my area that works on a Poulan, so I have to do it myself.

If anyone has any suggestions please advise. I have plenty of wood to cut and split.

Panari C1M-W47 PP5020AV Carburetor for Poulan Pro PP5020 PP5020AVX PP4818A PP4818AVX 573952201 Craftsman 358350980 358350981 358350982 Chainsaw

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then I reckon there is no 2 cycle chainsaw repair shops around your area. There should a Husqvarna dealer somewhere close by.

The 5020 isn't that hard to work on and when one is working right they are fairly easy to start with only a few pulls.