Stihl 020 AVP will not rev

jon@camano

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Stihl 020 AVP. The cylinder and compression are good and there is a good spark. I have rebuilt the carb. The saw idles well but will not rev. It has points and condenser ignition system. I am wondering if the saw has a bad condenser. Pretty sure the carb is good. Have checked it out a number of times. The saw is in good shape overall. I would like to get the saw running well rather than part it out. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Jon

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those saws have electronic ignition in them, either a regular coil 1114 404 3200 with an extra electronic trigger 1114 400 1005, or a(singular) modulated coil 0000 400 1306 which was put on multiple saws since(ms200 etc.) and is quite common OEM or AM and would be your best bet for ignition replacement.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the Stihl shop manuals for the 020av/avp and actually quite a few of the saw local dealer that sold me stuff when he quit said it was his favorite small saw. I put a nova chip in a points one that the condenser fried in and it worked great. Have about 10-12 more to build some out of maybe a little more. Next one will be the red and grey one I have must be a fairly early one.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the Stihl shop manuals for the 020av/avp and actually quite a few of the saw local dealer that sold me stuff when he quit said it was his favorite small saw. I put a nova chip in a points one that the condenser fried in and it worked great. Have about 10-12 more to build some out of maybe a little more. Next one will be the red and grey one I have must be a fairly early one.

I see, so the Stihl chip is the replacement for points and condenser and was not offered that way then.

Along with the Nova II, the Kawasaki chip works well for a one wire installation. The Nova II can be changed for reverse polarity if need be for some odd duck installation, I've yet to see it needed, I can see it happening on an old Brigg's or some such thing.

I've found that even when acquiring a NOS condenser for some of the older Stihl's that they did not work properly as they are still degraded from age, even though they were never used.
So a chip is a good solution, that or a complete modulated coil, both will give hotter spark vs points as nothing gets wasted during the firing process.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some models of the old stihls needed a special cam tool installed in place of flywheel to set points because it couldn’t be done with the flywheel on. I’d like to come across some of the old special tool kits from the 60’s -80’s that had the special stuff for the 045’s ect

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some models of the old stihls needed a special cam tool installed in place of flywheel to set points because it couldn’t be done with the flywheel on. I’d like to come across some of the old special tool kits from the 60’s -80’s that had the special stuff for the 045’s ect

They come up once in a while on eBay, not always complete other than Stihl price.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Stihl 020 AVP. The cylinder and compression are good and there is a good spark. I have rebuilt the carb. The saw idles well but will not rev. It has points and condenser ignition system. I am wondering if the saw has a bad condenser. Pretty sure the carb is good. Have checked it out a number of times. The saw is in good shape overall. I would like to get the saw running well rather than part it out. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Jon
Have you filed and set gap on point?

jon@camano

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am pretty sure the carb is good. Planning on replacing points/condenser with chip and a new coil. Thanks everyone.

Jon