Ported 7900 vent issues

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
9:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a ported and carb swapped 7900, running a tilly 296a. Saw pulls a vacuum and goes lean after a couple cuts. I crack the cap, its good for a couple more, then it goes lean again. Fuel line isn't pinching, vent appears okay. Saw only has 3 tanks on it, never had an issue with stock carb.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a ported and carb swapped 7900, running a tilly 296a. Saw pulls a vacuum and goes lean after a couple cuts. I crack the cap, its good for a couple more, then it goes lean again. Fuel line isn't pinching, vent appears okay. Saw only has 3 tanks on it, never had an issue with stock carb.
Clean the carb screen. Then vac test it.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you running an air filter on it when it does it?
Does it with and without a filter. When I ran it off a bottle (just has a small hole drilled for venting) it ran fine for a quarter tank or so, when normally I can't make one cut without vapor locking.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it with and without a filter. When I ran it off a bottle (just has a small hole drilled for venting) it ran fine for a quarter tank or so, when normally I can't make one cut without vapor locking.
Any chance the filter put a kink in the impulse line on top of the carb?

mgr1

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the fuel filter and remove the tank vent for a test. The vent is modified after problems with the first series.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the fuel filter and remove the tank vent for a test. The vent is modified after problems with the first series.
It does the same running no fuel filter. I will try removing the vent and running without it. This saw was bought new a couple months back, everything is the latest version. I have tank vents on hand, I can compare and see if there is a difference.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The later vents have a sintered white puck that presses in over the duckbill valve. The earlier ones were a grey foam piece that tends to get clogged with dust or deteriorate from age and fall out. You can retrofit the later style puck to the early saws. I would test without the duckbill valve and if that fixes the problem, replace the duckbill valve. Ethanol/age might have deteriorated it from working properly. When removing the puck, I found working it out with a pick around the edges to be the best method. Along with loosening the AV springs to gain enough play in the tank to gain access. It’s on the flywheel side of the tank.

Last edited:

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Test it, easy enough. Do a vacuum test on an empty tank at the fuel hose. No guess work.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The later vents have a sintered white puck that presses in over the duckbill valve. The earlier ones were a grey foam piece that tends to get clogged with dust or deteriorate from age and fall out. You can retrofit the later style puck to the early saws. I would test without the duckbill valve and if that fixes the problem, replace the duckbill valve. Ethanol/age might have deteriorated it from working properly. When removing the puck, I found working it out with a pick around the edges to be the best method. Along with loosening the AV springs to gain enough play in the tank to gain access. It’s on the flywheel side of the tank.

This is the new style, saw has 4 tanks through it. I have the duckbill out, everything appears okay but I will vac test later. Never had an issue with these tank vents, this is also the first 64-79 I've carb swapped.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long shot but I’ve had this issue on two different saws. Pressure test the fuel line itself.
AA510097-EC10-4836-8076-5E171F14A470.png

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
7:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you’re cracking the fuel cap and getting more cuts, it’s almost definitely a tank vent issue.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been busy the past couple nights! I'll mess with it tonight, as long as the 550xpg that should be waiting at home for me doesn't distract me!
Whahappen?

My 6100 spits at me every time I open the tank. Runs fine.