Opening a Local Saw Shop...Thoughts

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They sure do. Just started a new job at a local auto parts store just for a gap filler while the saws thing hopefully spins up. It’s just me and the owner, he’s been in business 20+ years and is sharing everything he has learned. We had a conversation about Weeding out the crap customers yesterday

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They sure do. Just started a new job at a local auto parts store just for a gap filler while the saws thing hopefully spins up. It’s just me and the owner, he’s been in business 20+ years and is sharing everything he has learned. We had a conversation about Weeding out the crap customers yesterday
Chit customers are a death nail.

Look for a saw chain auto sharpener.
Talk to 166
That crossed my mind just now seeing your thread title.

Put down the saw and run away, far away and soon :)

Ask what happens to cars lost in transit because they won't pay the bill :D

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To avoid a separate insurance policy, and not have strangers show up at your house, could you offer a service to pick up and drop off the saw for local customers? I see a lot of small businesses fail because they don't find a proper niche, and perhaps convenience can be your niche. People will often pay more for convenience.

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought about doing this multiple times like Bob shop .couple of shops. Small but sweet don’t wanna carry all the lawnmowers staff.
Kind a cater to the tree and loggers .

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To avoid a separate insurance policy, and not have strangers show up at your house, could you offer a service to pick up and drop off the saw for local customers? I see a lot of small businesses fail because they don't find a proper niche, and perhaps convenience can be your niche. People will often pay more for convenience.
Great idea

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Already doing this with a couple shops

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much cash do I need upfront to start ?????
Sorry I missed this post. Costs are going to vary based on your goals and how you acquire some things like a lathe. My costs to tool up are just over $4k and I’m keeping a stash of cash squirreled away just for business capital.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this post. Costs are going to vary based on your goals and how you acquire some things like a lathe. My costs to tool up are just over $4k and I’m keeping a stash of cash squirreled away just for business capital.
The guys I knew around 1990 spent 10K on mostly used equipment to set up a chainsaw repair and chain sharpening. Both of them were green and did poor work. Never even sent them a chain but did a few on their machine to get them going with it. These two geniuses had trouble changing a set of crank seals lol.

You'll be making money in no time. First two years is the hardest when starting a new thang.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The guys I knew around 1990 spent 10K on mostly used equipment to set up a chainsaw repair and chain sharpening. Both of them were green and did poor work. Never even sent them a chain but did a few on their machine to get them going with it. These two geniuses had trouble changing a set of crank seals lol.

You'll be making money in no time. First two years is the hardest when starting a new thang.
I’ll probably be at 10k after all said and done, cash goes fast. But I’ve got what I need for now. I will eventually get a good chain grinder, invest in some more parts for shelf stock, shop supplies etc etc. good thing is despite all that my overhead will remain very very low as I’m not paying for space or other common recurrent expenses.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ll probably be at 10k after all said and done, cash goes fast. But I’ve got what I need for now. I will eventually get a good chain grinder, invest in some more parts for shelf stock, shop supplies etc etc. good thing is despite all that my overhead will remain very very low as I’m not paying for space or other common recurrent expenses.
Oh yeah... get some rolls, 26ft, of Echo black rubber fuel line, 3x5, 3x6 and 3x7mm goes a long way on tools. Small black plastic 90s, double nipples and street 90's are handy to get things up and running quickly with an assortment of rubber grommets. Weed eaters, hand held tools in general need those parts with today's pump gas. Sharp double barbed ones are best. Doubles as impulse line in 3x7. Perfect for custom work.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good advice. I like the echo fuel line and stihl fuel line for bulk line. They work good for impulse hoses too. That yellow tygon knockoff doesn’t last. Gets hard and fails.
That yellow stuff is chit imo.
Melted it right off the the case testing a 361 running a 28" bar with too much timing. Never used it again. Better options are out there. Even Husky AM "pig tail" line I call it is better than the yellow crap that came on Poulan Pro saws and a billion others. They wanted cheaper not better.