CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Much appreciated Bob. I’ll let you know well ahead of time so I don’t interrupt anything. Haven’t been on here much in the last few days, been in a whirlwind of learning, ordering, building etc. I finished my lathe bench today. Still need to make a chip pan and a shield to put between the spinning thing and the motor. The UPS driver started bringing me “gifts” today:)
View attachment 289197 View attachment 289198
Wow that's great! Can you tell I started reading this page from the bottom - up lol. I am seriously jealous of all that mandrel material!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow that's great! Can you tell I started reading this page from the bottom - up lol. I am seriously jealous of all that mandrel material!
They’re gonna go fast. I’m going to cut all of my saws that are BGD builds. I figure spinning my own stuff is the best way to learn. Before I do that I’ll be spinning some junk cylinders.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excited for you. Lots of good advice here. Makes me wanna start a thread asking for advice. :) I inherited the running of a large machine and welding shop. I think I envy a smaller business.

When can we start sending you saws for port work? :)

Maybe @Spike60 has some input too. ;-)
Not quite ready for that, Baby steps lol. Though I appreciate your confidence. Meant to answer your question yesterday.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m very close to the eastern shore of Oneida lake.
Consider small outboard repairs. You will find more money there than saws most times. Trust that boaters have more disposable income.
Beer is always cold in my shop, swing by any time
Wrong... make them bring the beer.
Picked up this 9” South Bend yesterday. Everything is very tight, gonna give it a good cleaning today and get it in place in my barn.
View attachment 288243
Take that learning experience seriously. One fo-pa can cost you a finger or hand real quick on a power tool with that kind of grunt.
Best advice is to never ever forget what your wearing or holding in your hand while that head is turning.

Slower ain't always better in turning metal.

Nice tool.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a practice 359 cylinder if you want it.
I appreciate the offer brother but at this point I’ve gotten comfortable on the lathe and with the RA handpiece. Don’t really feel the need for more practice parts. My son might be interested though, happy to pay shipping if he is.

@ZukiRyder400

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy Fellers,

After 22 years in uniform I’m being forced to retire and I figure there’s no better time than now to work for myself doing something I enjoy.

That said, I’m gonna give a saw shop a go. My local dealer is excited for the prospect of a local mod shop, although I’m not gonna jump into mods full throttle right away. Currently lathe shopping and I need to master those tasks before selling that work.

Given the experience on here is there anything I should look out for or get done right away? I’ve already established an LLC but I will be reworking some of that since I have become more knowledgeable on the ins and outs of liability while working from home.

Any advice or criticism is welcome. Thanks
I always thought that would be kind of a dream job thought about ot many times myself.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are your services? Standard repair or just mods? All ope or only saws? Here a small engine guy does all but guys have specialized skills. Are there lakes and boats nearby?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are your services? Standard repair or just mods? All ope or only saws? Here a small engine guy does all but guys have specialized skills. Are there lakes and boats nearby?
I’m only doing saw mods. Repairs on a case by case basis. Yes there’s a big lake nearby and I have boat experience but I don’t wanna go there. My own boats piss me off enough in one season

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have folks want me to look at outboard engines because the boat shops are so expensive and backed up with work. Long story short. I will only work on engines i can easily pickup. Like 15hp and less. First thing i do is a compression check. Any issues and i give it back with no charge. The small outboards are about like working on chainsaws.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have folks want me to look at outboard engines because the boat shops are so expensive and backed up with work. Long story short. I will only work on engines i can easily pickup. Like 15hp and less. First thing i do is a compression check. Any issues and i give it back with no charge. The small outboards are about like working on chainsaws.
I know old, small out boards pretty well. Just don’t have a desire to work on them in volume.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My hat is off to those who have the skill and discipline to run their own business. I sure don't, I need a boss and a time clock. I am planning to farm when I retire, since I grew up in it and already have the land and machinery.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its not all about the money
That is true. I have been doing OPE repairs for about 20 years on the side along with my audio business and i just recently started telling people i no longer do handyman work. I retired a few years ago and i have enough income to not need to work and i don't advetise either of the businesses and i have all the business i want. I try to treat people with honesty and quality workmanship. People are disappointed when i tell them i am too busy to do work for them and many offer more than i would normally charge to do something because of previous work i have done for them. Do good work and treat people right and they will give you money.