Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
doesnt matter if i use 10 11 or 12 its the same i still use a 12 for mig though 11 usually being 4 feet away would be hard just to hold in place steady

10 min to run 5 beads stretched out as far as I can with the 4ft. All of 6ft away from my eyes more welding by sound than anything. Glad the machine has a duty cycle, it lets ya know too. When ya can't hold the handle no more time for a break :)

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol your eyes focus so long they get strained

Pretty sure they closed more than open... just open to start the arc in the right spot. Very easy to get lost in the puddle. Some of my first beads looked kind of like modern art. Left, right fat skinny, half moon. Trigger interlock is a God send... Wouldn't be able to open my hand without it.

Used a number nine since Tech school. Could not tell ya why it never bothered me. Don't weld much now anyhow, so no matter.

That is what I normally use at home with small mig under 200 amps.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol joe i do alot of tube welding and the weld techs want pretty and good welds plus we buddy weld the tubes for a constant arc ( no stops and starts except one ) buddy welding is fun if you have a good partner

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol joe i do alot of tube welding and the weld techs want pretty and good welds plus we buddy weld the tubes for a constant arc ( no stops and starts except one ) buddy welding is fun if you have a good partner

Sounds interesting.. I am not a skilled/certified welder. But with that being said, I do know what the welds need to look like to be sound/solid in this application. These welds I am putting in right now will never be seen again. Only the last inch really matters, as that will be machined back off. Don't want a bunch of flux pockets. This weld puddle will be way more solid than the 70 year old casting it is in. These things have giant sand pockets all over the place.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
your welds look good to me joe you can google videos on boilermaker buddy welding some guys at work video or take pictures alot

I'll have to do that. Fist couple weeks we were both welding at the same time. Fans blowing smoke at eachother. He had the stronger fan :(

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol i have had to teach a few guys ive been doing that for over 10 years now

Not so much the learning how to weld that style. More of keeping the other person out of my bubble.. It is my bubble, and I like it that way lol.

Same reason I'm pretty content welding shifts wit bout seeing another person. Altho the mind does tend to wander in an environment such as this...

Status
Not open for further replies.