Good morning Gunner Dallas is hard into the coffee today :risas3:

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
7:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend and I recently did some bartering. My drywall hanging/ finishing in a new bathroom for his electrical expertise. He is changing out one of our subpanels putting in a new panel and breakers. Also hooking up a generator switch in the barn.
We have one of these been wanting to get replaced

Zinsco Panels

Zinsco or GTE-Sylvania panels were popular electrical panels installed in homes throughout the 1970s. Zinsco is now defunct, but many homes still have these panels.

Why they’re unsafe: The circuit breakers inside many Zinsco panels melt to the main ‘bus bar’. This means the breaker can’t ever trip, even when there’s a short or overloaded circuit. So if there ever is a short or other problems, the surge of power melts wires and starts fires in your home.

How to tell if you have one: The name Zinsco anywhere on the panel is a sure sign it should be replaced. Also, many GTE-Sylvania or Sylvania panels are simply re-branded Zinsco panels or contain the problem Zinsco design. These should also be replaced.

However, not all Sylvania and GTE-Slyvania branded panels are dangerous. So if you have one, an electrician will need to inspect it to see if it has the problematic design.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend and I recently did some bartering. My drywall hanging/ finishing in a new bathroom for his electrical expertise. His changing out one of our subpanels putting in a new panel and breakers. Also hooking up a generator switch in the barn.
We have one of these been wanting to get replaced

Zinsco Panels

Zinsco or GTE-Sylvania panels were popular electrical panels installed in homes throughout the 1970s. Zinsco is now defunct, but many homes still have these panels.

Why they’re unsafe: The circuit breakers inside many Zinsco panels melt to the main ‘bus bar’. This means the breaker can’t ever trip, even when there’s a short or overloaded circuit. So if there ever is a short or other problems, the surge of power melts wires and starts fires in your home.

How to tell if you have one: The name Zinsco anywhere on the panel is a sure sign it should be replaced. Also, many GTE-Sylvania or Sylvania panels are simply re-branded Zinsco panels or contain the problem Zinsco design. These should also be replaced.

However, not all Sylvania and GTE-Slyvania branded panels are dangerous. So if you have one, an electrician will need to inspect it to see if it has the problematic design.
Good to know. My panel is Federal Pacific and the breakers are NLA.

Any relation to what you're speaking of? Regardless I will check it out.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to know. My panel is Federal Pacific and the breakers are NLA.
Any relation to what you're speaking of? Regardless I will check it out.
Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) Panels
For a long time (1950s-1980s) Federal Pacific Electric was one of the most popular manufacturers of electrical panels in the United States. And they were installed in millions of homes.

But these panels are extremely unsafe.

Why they’re unsafe: FPE electric panels’ circuit breakers fail to trip when they should (when there’s a short circuit or circuit overload). This problem has lead to thousands of fires across the United States, including this one in Central Florida.

There are also many reports that FPE circuits in the off position still send power to the circuit. This can cause electrocution when working on a circuit you believe to be off.

How to tell if you have one: FPE panels are most common in homes built between 1950 and 1980. Federal Pacific Electric will likely be written on the cover of your breaker box. Inside, look for the name Stab-Loc (the brand name of the circuit breakers).

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For a long time (1950s-1980s) Federal Pacific Electric was one of the most popular manufacturers of electrical panels in the United States. And they were installed in millions of homes.

Why they’re unsafe: FPE electric panels’ circuit breakers fail to trip when they should (when there’s a short circuit or circuit overload). This problem has lead to thousands of fires across the United States, including this one in Central Florida.

There are also many reports that FPE circuits in the off position still send power to the circuit. This can cause electrocution when working on a circuit you believe to be off.

How to tell if you have one: FPE panels are most common in homes built between 1950 and 1980. Federal Pacific Electric will likely be written on the cover of your breaker box. Inside, look for the name Stab-Loc (the brand name of the circuit breakers).
Well holy chit. I've never heard a thing about this.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well chit I wonder if that's what was in my shop!
It was built in 75.

Sent from Hoskvarna Hills

Status
Not open for further replies.