Not So Pro 3

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Work truck I used to drive had a 8.1/Allison combo. For some reason it loved to chew through flywheels. Some would crack, but most would wear the teeth down on the ring gear in a single section. Starter teeth harder than the ring. Our use is a little different though since the start/stop cycle on those would sometimes hit almost 200 times a day. Average day for me was about 130 cycles. I got so used to the sound I would let the mechanic know about a month before it went out. Had a piece of wood in the truck so when it went I could spin the motor with crank pulley and get moving again. The way it was sounding, I'm thinking it will go down sometime in March again.

I had an 02 GMC with the 8.1.
If it's eating or cracking flywheels it could also be an alignment issue.
Could just be the number of start cycles but I'd be looking at the dowel pins and block/bellhousing while it was apart.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an 02 GMC with the 8.1.
If it's eating or cracking flywheels it could also be an alignment issue.
Could just be the number of start cycles but I'd be looking at the dowel pins and block/bellhousing while it was apart.
3 motors and two transmissions. Same issue, so I would wonder on start cycles.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He doesn’t want to say it but he wants to see
Was beautiful yesterday. Today it’s 28° with an 11mph wind outta the north. The old Ferd ain't got a heater.....
But the internet keeps saying ford is the best

I know they make the mechanic a lot of money but the ones I see saying are lucky they make it to the *s-wordtter before messing their depends