cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
10:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for you tree experts

Our “hot wings” maples made it through the winter and although they were behind the native trees in leafing out they seemed to be doing fine but in the last week I noticed this

View attachment 425566

It’s not chewing marks, and it’s not making holes all the way through the leaves

I couldn’t see any type of insects anywhere on the 5 trees

I have no clue what it is or what to do

I’m going to go to the tree farm and show them my pictures but if any of you have any ideas please chime in

Thx
Those look like the striped maples in PA

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
7:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol see quite a few bears around here. They really aren’t a problem. The damn mountain lions are a problem though. Kid was killed a couple months ago. The population has grown. Stupid asses protect them. If I see one on the property here it’s dead protected or not.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
9:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol see quite a few bears around here. They really aren’t a problem. The damn mountain lions are a problem though. Kid was killed a couple months ago. The population has grown. Stupid asses protect them. If I see one on the property here it’s dead protected or not.
I know lots of guys who won’t go in the woods without a gun, problem is you need to see and or hear them before it’s too late which isn’t easy. The dnr finally admitted that mountain lions exist in mn few years back but I’ve been seeing them over 30 years and know what I saw. Wasn’t a big lynx or bobcat

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know lots of guys who won’t go in the woods without a gun, problem is you need to see and or hear them before it’s too late which isn’t easy. The dnr finally admitted that mountain lions exist in mn few years back but I’ve been seeing them over 30 years and know what I saw. Wasn’t a big lynx or bobcat
Yep very sneaky and definitely will kill you. Fish and wildlife is a joke. Just ticket writing it seems like.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Our “hot wings” maples made it through the winter and although they were behind the native trees in leafing out they seemed to be doing fine but in the last week I noticed this

View attachment 425566

It’s not chewing marks, and it’s not making holes all the way through the leaves

I’m going to go to the tree farm and show them my pictures but if any of you have any ideas please chime in

Thx

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It certainly wouldn’t surprise me to learn they are headed our way, there are deer spotted on this side of Prince William Sound for the first time in anyone’s memory

I doubt they could or would survive in the deep winter cold in the interior but the coastal areas would be a piece of cake

I saw a few of them over the years in Northern New Mexico and the White Mountains of Arizona back in the day

I worked for the BLM in 73 building water impoundments for desert sheep in the corner of New Mexico, Arizona, and Mexico and actually saw a jaguar, which used to be plentiful in that upper Sonoran desert before they were almost wiped out

That was pretty awesome

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Was that the brothers that they tried to fight it off when it attacked and one didnt make it?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep exactly was about 10 minutes from here.
Did they try and take out that one afterwards? I’d imagine it would be more likely to do it a second time than the average one would. I see they did get rid of the 90 pound male mountain lion. I’ve seen pictures of the paw prints on my cousins windows before.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did they try and take out that one afterwards? I’d imagine it would be more likely to do it a second time than the average one would. I see they did get rid of the 90 pound male mountain lion. I’ve seen pictures of the paw prints on my cousins windows before.
Of course not fish and game, but the Sheriff tracked it and killed it. Our Sheriffs are pretty good around here.

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I just spent some time on the Alaska Fish and Game website looking at mountain lion information

Sightings along the inside passage of south east Alaska are becoming more common and are generally considered as plausible sightings

There have also been reports of sightings in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge south of me and sightings as far north as Palmer Alaska, which is where I live

They want to credit a lot of these sightings as people seeing a Lynx and thinking it’s a mountain lion but that’s hard to believe, as they look nothing alike

I guess if you hadn’t seen either before it might be possible to make that mistake but it’s pretty far fetched to me

They also said it was very likely there would be a breeding population in South East Alaska within 50 years

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 425566

Thx
So this is “tar fungus” and is generally caused by too much rain

It’s cosmetic only and won’t kill the tree but it will cause early leaf dropping

There is nothing I can do now but I could have them sprayed next spring, although I have been unable to locate a true “arborist” in my area so I would have to find out what they would use and DIY it

At least I’m not freaking out about the trees dying

Thanks

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I just spent some time on the Alaska Fish and Game website looking at mountain lion information

Sightings along the inside passage of south east Alaska are becoming more common and are generally considered as plausible sightings

There have also been reports of sightings in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge south of me and sightings as far north as Palmer Alaska, which is where I live

They want to credit a lot of these sightings as people seeing a Lynx and thinking it’s a mountain lion but that’s hard to believe, as they look nothing alike

I guess if you hadn’t seen either before it might be possible to make that mistake but it’s pretty far fetched to me

They also said it was very likely there would be a breeding population in South East Alaska within 50 years

Almost every year some bumbling dipshìt in WI mistakes an elk for a whitetail deer during our firearm season.
A lynx for a mountain lion is slightly less of a stretch of dumbasş. Slightly.

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost every year some bumbling dipshìt in WI mistakes an elk for a whitetail deer during our firearm season.
A lynx for a mountain lion is slightly less of a stretch of dumbasş. Slightly.
I guess a life spent living in wild places and recreating in the woods makes a difference but I know exactly where you are coming from