New way to clean gullets

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always cleaned out my gullets by hand with a file every other time I sharpen.

Today I tried something different and maybe others do this already, I've never heard nor read it. Figured I would share and help out other guys that get the ol' forearm cramp!

Maybe others do it with some other machine another way?

Anyways.... I used my Oregon round grinder with my 3/8" cbn wheel. Set it up straight at 90* and did some cleaning.

Worked amazing, I doubt I ever clean them with a hand file again as I have a picco cbn wheel also.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
10:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use my usg for the gullets ,i do not hold it like that though ,i just put it in like sharpening a chain and set it up to hit the gullet and not the cutter after i sharpen it square ,makes them all uniform this way because can set the stops so hits the same place every time .

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should also mention I have a hydro oregon....so just using the slide and adjuster doesn't work for me

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel like a dolt, when I saw this I immediately thought "wtf didn't I think of this before. "
Thanks OP
It's pretty fast pace doing it this way, let alone less fatigue on the body. alot easier using 2 hands, one was trying to record.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a used up blue wheel from my square grinder mounted with a spacer on my maxx grinder. I set the table angle around 25 or so. Swing the head over to 60 and set the depth stops. I like to undercut before grinding square a little as it seems to make it easier to grind in the square corner.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use an NT grinder, the head has enough side to side slop you can get most of the gullet without having to move the chain in the vise.
+1

That way, you can still use the force and the grinder.
Lol

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a new video I happened to watch today, that covers this subject except with hand filing. Thought I would post it as it is interesting and might just help some folks out there. A bit different than what you're used to, but if it works?

Last edited:

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
his gullets looked pretty jacked up. I find it hard to believe the cutting edge of his tooth is being sharpened well when you're seesawing your file in and out like that.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think he's filing down, not back on the tooth when he's doing that, then goes straight to file the tooth, kinda different I know, but does reinforce the importance of getting the gullet out, even if it ain't purdy. Whole chain was kinda bit crude, but if it cuts good?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a new video I happened to watch today, that covers this subject except with hand filing. Thought I would post it as it is interesting and might just help some folks out there. A bit different than what you're used to, but if it works?

This is the same way @mdavlee square files. Lol

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know there are lots of folks here cooking up some pretty sweet chains and the video I posted really isn't geared to them. I rather did it for the beginners here and others that just plain don't know the importance of getting rid of the gullet. Wish someone showed me years ago, as I had to learn the hard way by myself. Lot of poor cutting in the mean time.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used my Oregon round grinder with my 3/8" cbn wheel.
I use my usg for the gullets ,i do not hold it like that though ,i just put it in like sharpening a chain and set it up to hit the gullet and not the cutter after i sharpen it square ,makes them all uniform this way because can set the stops so hits the same place every time .

I usually sharpen with a round grinder, so its easy. I sharpen the Left cutters, then rotate the vise and sharpen the Right cutters.

While the chain is still in the vise, I back the chain positioning dog/stop off a half turn or so, and lower the height adjusting screw on the grinder head about a half turn or so (obviously, I check these for the specific chain, but the amount is usually a half to one full turn). Then I 'run' the gullets on the Right cutters, rotate the vise, and run the Left cutters. Usually just a tap or so, unless they have been neglected for a long time.

(Then on to the depth gauges).

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a new video I happened to watch today, . .

his gullets looked pretty jacked up. I find it hard to believe the cutting edge of his tooth is being sharpened well when you're seesawing your file in and out like that.

Watched the video. Hard to take him seriously when he talks like the guy selling Ginsu knives at the State Fair: e.g. his is the only way, and ('friends') anyone who does it different is a pathetic fool. Seems to be that he likes to rock his file when cleaning his gullets, not for sharpening the cutters. He does not say why his gullets get so bad that they need that much filing to begin with, or why he leaves that bump in the middle (or why he misses it when using his boat' technique). I don't see him sharpening his cutting edges in this video.

He seems actually proud that his R and L cutters are different lengths, and blames all pulling to the side on bar maintenance.

His saw seems to cut well in that small, soft wood, but not impressed with his cutting technique either.

JMHO

Philbert