New guy with a few saws

D. Akins

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stumbled across the forum while researching some saws recently. A little bit about me, I tinker with my small engines and can usually figure things out if they get wonky. Biggest lesson I have learned is empty the fuel tanks and run it dry before storing any period of time.
I recently picked up an old McCulloch 200; a newer McCulloch 2.0 and a Husqvarna 395xp. Been working a lot and just got around to trying to start the 395. Dumped the tank, fresh fuel, new spark plug and it fire after about 20 pulls. It ran a little rough and would not idle. I tore the carburetor apart yesterday, took the high and low jets out as well as the screen. Cleaned everything good with cleaner. I noticed the diaphragms were a little stiff but not brittle.
Today I put everything back together, turned the high and low jet out 1 1/4 turn, put a small bit of fuel in the carburetor, choked and pulled, it ran for a second as expected. Repeated the process a couple of times but no go. I didn’t get to mess with it any more today, but will be ready to start on it tomorrow morning.
Carb needle settings ok initially?
Think the diaphragms are to stiff?
Plug has a blue spark.
Compression feels very good, I can’t hardly pull it without decompression valve pushed in.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome -

I would start with a new carb kit in the 395, that's probably the cheapest solution. 1 to 1 1/4 turns out each is a good starting point. Also, blow out your fuel filter and see if it is contaminated.

Last edited:

D. Akins

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will check fuel filter. I’m gonna call dealer and see if they have a kit in stock.
I think this saw was made in 2000 or 2001.
I bought a new chain for it , dressed the bar (24”)
I’m gonna need a chain brake handle or assembly as this one is broken off or been removed?
I’ll try and post some pics if I can

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome!

Definitely carb kit time, in my book if the diaphragms feel even slightly stiff it's time to replace, when you get the new set you'll see how big of a difference. Don't check the fuel filter, replace it. If the fuel lines are original it's time for them to go as well. The 395 is one of my favorite saws.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stumbled across the forum while researching some saws recently. A little bit about me, I tinker with my small engines and can usually figure things out if they get wonky. Biggest lesson I have learned is empty the fuel tanks and run it dry before storing any period of time.
I recently picked up an old McCulloch 200; a newer McCulloch 2.0 and a Husqvarna 395xp. Been working a lot and just got around to trying to start the 395. Dumped the tank, fresh fuel, new spark plug and it fire after about 20 pulls. It ran a little rough and would not idle. I tore the carburetor apart yesterday, took the high and low jets out as well as the screen. Cleaned everything good with cleaner. I noticed the diaphragms were a little stiff but not brittle.
Today I put everything back together, turned the high and low jet out 1 1/4 turn, put a small bit of fuel in the carburetor, choked and pulled, it ran for a second as expected. Repeated the process a couple of times but no go. I didn’t get to mess with it any more today, but will be ready to start on it tomorrow morning.
Carb needle settings ok initially?
Think the diaphragms are to stiff?
Plug has a blue spark.
Compression feels very good, I can’t hardly pull it without decompression valve pushed in.
Welcome to the site
As stated carb kit
And i would check the whole fuel system and intake for cracks.
But also pull the muffler to check for scoring
Sometimes the resistance of a scored cylinder will feel like good compression.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the site
As stated carb kit
Yes, and has tricked many used saw buyers (not me.... I swear).

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome!

Definitely carb kit time, in my book if the diaphragms feel even slightly stiff it's time to replace, when you get the new set you'll see how big of a difference. Don't check the fuel filter, replace it. If the fuel lines are original it's time for them to go as well. The 395 is one of my favorite saws.
Good advice right there.

A diaphragm should literally have the stiffness of a piece of thin cloth, which is no stiffness if you understand what im trying to say.

Check all the passages, when rebuilt the fuel side nipple should hold 7psi and not drop. Make sure you do this with fuel or oil in the metering area, if its dry it will not hold. When i put a new diaphragm in I put a small amount of 2 stroke oil in there to prepare it for the test.

395 is the best saw ever made btw ;) jokes

D. Akins

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I removed muffler and inspected the piston. It looks slick, no markings or gouging. Ordering carb kit. I noticed that I left off a plastic piece that the high and low needle goes through, not sure the purpose of this piece. Will put it back on with new kit.

Attachments

• 2455558D-81D0-4A5F-979C-5E64A7B3CC9A.jpeg
    2455558D-81D0-4A5F-979C-5E64A7B3CC9A.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 60
  • 4726CAF3-B593-4180-B0E5-7A3D8B3D948A.jpeg
    4726CAF3-B593-4180-B0E5-7A3D8B3D948A.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 61

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I removed muffler and inspected the piston. It looks slick, no markings or gouging. Ordering carb kit. I noticed that I left off a plastic piece that the high and low needle goes through, not sure the purpose of this piece. Will put it back on with new kit.
That's a limiter toss it.

D. Akins

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I finally got a few minutes tonight. Got the new diaphragms installed as well as, put new fuel filter, fuel line, impulse line.
Got it put back together, 3 pulls and she fired. She runs good. Got to tune a little but I’m tickled with it. I broke the muffler gasket and the plastic baffle piece that goes around the intake boot. Not sure what it’s called? I guess I’m gonna replace it and a new exhaust gasket next week. Hopefully the dealer has those items.
I got that 200 mcculloch on deck after this one is squared away. Really enjoy the knowledge on this forum.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to OPE, glad you got your 395 sorted out. Enjoy

Michael Rupley

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a side cover for you. It has the handle for the chain brake but the brake band is gone. $15 pictures if serious.

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the site
As stated carb kit
T1,