Need opinions on three saws

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I want to get a top handle to clean up a bunch tree tops and limbs that I was blessed with during hurricane Beryl. For just a cat1 storm, that sucker sure made a mess. We didn't have this many trees down after harvey. But we had WAY more water water on the ground. Most of the debris is 4" and smaller but I don't feel like packing the 462 with a 28 on it around the yard.

Anyway, I've got it nailed down to three choices. 2511T, 355T, or a stihl 194T.

From the people that either own or have experience with these saws, what are your opinions of them ? The 355 seems like the best bang for the buck.

Which one responds best to basic mods like a timing advance and muffler mod ?

I really like the 2511 but it is the most expensive of the three.

Just a small sample of what we got in the backyard. 20240708_194048.jpg20240708_194029.jpg

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a cheap Chinese top handle that use for pruning bushes. If I'm cutting downed tree tops I use a small rear handle saw like my Echo 352 or Husqvarna 41.

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tree service I do saw maintenance for switched to 355t from 201s a couple years back. Half the price and a simple muffler mod and slight timing advance puts them damnear in line with the 201. They are easy to work on and parts show up at the dealer in 3-4 days rather than 2 weeks from Stihl.

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only ran the 2511T out of those, it was muff modded and had the 1/4" chain conversion. Impressive for it's size.

As for comparable saws, the Stihl 151T would be it's competition but at a much higher price.

My small ground saws are rear handle 200s. If I did more climbing/bucket work, I'd look at one of the micro top handles.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 2511T is a fine saw, but in stock form it is not impressive. Properly modded (Mweba in my case) it is very impressive.

I think you will find a top handle saw is not as convenient as you think even for small stuff. Unless you really need to use it one handed, a top handle saw is just not that,,,well,,,handy.

Mark

wood4pit

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2511 will not have any problem with 6" and under wood.

If you want to save a nickel or two look at the 271T. A little heavier but still gets the job done

wood4pit

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of these. It is quite powerfull but LOUD!
The only issue i have with it is the fuel and oil caps are fiddly to work with.

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 2511T is a fine saw, but in stock form it is not impressive. Properly modded (Mweba in my case) it is very impressive.

I think you will find a top handle saw is not as convenient as you think even for small stuff. Unless you really need to use it one handed, a top handle saw is just not that,,,well,,,handy.

Mark
I mainly wanted it for one handed use but I'm starting to think that may not be ideal. If I'm going to have to two hand it, I may as well have something with some reach. Now I'm leaning to a 50cc saw. Eyeballing an ms260 on ebay right now.
Nice tank trap. You shoot PRS?
Only in my backyard. It's a good training tool for out of position hunting shots though.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
6:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
355 is a good, cheap option. 2511 is a good, light option. 194 is in the middle on weight and close to 2511 in price. All three benefit considerably from a muffler mod.

If you look at rear handles a 50cc is relatively heavy. There are lots of smaller rear handle saws that can run a 14” bar. 260 wouldn’t be my first pick, but they’re fine saws.

Also, battery options are getting much better in the small saw market. Echo 2500 is nice light option, skip the stihl 161 and Husky 536, but the msa220 or 540/2xpi are very good. Milwaukee and Dewalt have reasonable options too if you already have those batteries. Not as fun to run as gas, but simpler to carry.

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a little husky 350 that I salvaged and I really liked that little saw. Traded it to another member here for a spare top end for the 462.

Thinking about the 260 for bar compatibility. Shame you can't get the 241's here anymore. I've heard they were rippers for their size.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless you got a lot more stuff and the 462 is your only saw then but whatever you want. If you don't got a lot more then I saw then I guess buy what you want if you got money to spend on a want. I tend to use the best I got for the job and see if I need something else.

Paul Lloyd-Jones

Just learning
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have six 194s and two 2511s. We had one 355 years ago, and everyone on the crew hated it. It ended up being nicknamed "the clunker" and finally stopped even being put on the truck. Maybe it was a lemon. I didn't know anything about mods back then, and maybe that would have made a difference, but i didn't like the ergonomics/build of it at all. The 2511s are amazing little saws when their carb is adjusted properly. I never did the conversion, but I hated the 1/4" chain on the stihl pole saws when they were doing that, so I thought I wouldn't have like it on my climbers. I do a crappy easy little muffler mod I saw someone do on youtube, and I modify a stihl bar so that I can run the same chain as on our 194s.
The 194s aren't my fave, but they seem to do a good job for the money, so they keep winning out as the standard tophandle for the trucks even with the 20% fleet discount we get Echo. I am a climber, and if I were to have a personal saw, it would be a ported 2511T. Of course, now you are talking about $800-$900.
If you go 50cc, and might port one day, I have a 501P that Dyno Joe ported for me, and it is kicks a**. (I will eventually have him port a 2511, because he gets great gains on them (25%?), but for now, I can't justify it.) But as a stock saw, we were unimpressed with the 501s. We bought about 6 of them, and they too sat untouched way too often.
It's been years since I had a 260, but I remember loving it.

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless you got a lot more stuff and the 462 is your only saw then but whatever you want. If you don't got a lot more then I saw then I guess buy what you want if you got money to spend on a want. I tend to use the best I got for the job and see if I need something else.
The 462 isn't my only saw. I have an old, well let me say, vintage, echo cs-750. But it has a 30" bar on it. I run it now and then on big firewood logs when I'm feeling sentimental. It belonged to my grandfather.

I had a 50cc saw for a while but traded it for another top end for the 462. May need to add another one to the stable.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a little husky 350 that I salvaged and I really liked that little saw. Traded it to another member here for a spare top end for the 462.

Thinking about the 260 for bar compatibility. Shame you can't get the 241's here anymore. I've heard they were rippers for their size.
I wouldn’t discount the 543XP husky, ported they are as fast or faster than the MS241. You can get them in the Redmax version for under $400 with a bar and chain if you look around. That solves your bar dilemma, also they are not auto tune, so a super simple very lightweight rear handle saw.

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t discount the 543XP husky, ported they are as fast or faster than the MS241. You can get them in the Redmax version for under $400 with a bar and chain if you look around. That solves your bar dilemma, also they are not auto tune, so a super simple very lightweight rear handle saw.
I totally agree with the Redmax gz4350s. I bought two of them for $350 each and had both of them ported. They are little rippers!!!!

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I totally agree with the Redmax gz4350s. I bought two of them for $350 each and had both of them ported. They are little rippers!!!!
Good to know. Thanks,I will look into them.